Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where should I go?  (Read 523 times)

SSDD

• View Profile
Where should I go?
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »
OK, so here's my situation:

Before I even started the law school application process, I knew I wanted to attend law school at the University of Texas.  I went into the LSAT with the ultimate goal of scoring high enough to get into UT.  After I was accepted, I was ecstatic, naively thinking my problems were solved.

After the initial excitement of the news from Austin, I started questioning whether or not I should go there.  At this point, I have not received any financial aid from UT.  At the same time, I have received a full tuition scholarship from Baylor.

When I ask for advice on which of the two schools I should go to, I either get "Go to UT you idiot! It's a much higher ranked school and you will have much more opportunity", or "How could you turn down free law school?".  I guess there's a strong argument for either side.

Also, just to keep in mind.  Even though UT is relatively cheap (compared to private schools), I'm still worried about taking on a lot of debt and trapping myself (join the club right?).  Also, I'm about 90% sure I want to stay in Texas after graduation.  Still, I know that UT is the place I really want to go.

Does anyone have any advice?

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck between Stations
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »
I think you should just pretend you never applied to Baylor. Go back to being happy you got into UT and that all your dreams came true.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I go?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »
Ask these Q's

Is the baylor money guaranteed or tied to GPA? If the latter is the case you should be concerned.

What are your career goals? What's your likelihood of success from each school?

Don't look at it as free vs full cost, full tuition scholarship is not the same as no debt, you need to compare the cost of attendance. There are ways to minimize debt such as summer gigs and school term clerking which may be easier to acquire at UT.