Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accidentally asked "What's Up" on a Callback  (Read 1949 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Accidentally asked "What's Up" on a Callback
« on: January 27, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »
So I got a callback a couple of days ago to setup an interview at a firm for a 1L internship, and when the person introduced herself, I asked "Oh, hello, what's up?".

Does this:

A)  Make me look personable,
B)  Make me look unprofessional,
C)  Both, or
D)  Get a life, I'm sure it didn't affect you either way.

I'm fairly embarrassed either way.
_______
.|E|R|S.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Accidentally asked "What's Up" on a Callback
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »
E) all of the above

Totally depends on who you were talking to. If you had said it to me (as a future interviewer, not a law student), I would not have thought anything about it.  If you said to someone who is all about the formals, I think this person is more likely to notice it.

I wouldn't worry about it though. I doubt this will be the deal breaker. Error on the side of caution and try to stay on the more formal side next time.  Don't beat yourself up though. Learn and move on.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »
Did you realize that the firm was calling?  If not, and the person knew it, I would say A.  If you knew it was the firm, and the person knew it, I would say B at the worst.

But congrats on a callback IN THIS ECONOMY!  I interviewed with one firm in my home state and they dinged me.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:58:49 PM »
Did you realize that the firm was calling?  If not, and the person knew it, I would say A.  If you knew it was the firm, and the person knew it, I would say B at the worst.

But congrats on a callback IN THIS ECONOMY!  I interviewed with one firm in my home state and they dinged me.

I'm interviewing at a home state firm as well.  Any advice for me that you wish you had going in? 
_______
.|E|R|S.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »
I don't know what I did wrong.  Be sure to play up home state connections at every turn.  But I did that.  More importantly, what I didn't do was play up "I want to return to home state at all costs."  I sounded very hesitant, I think, about going back to Wally home state over, say, New York City.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:43:59 PM »
I had a phone info interview and before the call I wrote down several words not to say and what to use instead.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
I got a call for an interview today and the lady introduced her self and for whatever reason instead of saying hello how are you? I said umm hmm.  I felt so rude, and I could tell she thought so as well.