Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: academic vs work experience LOR  (Read 2037 times)

SouthernBelle1L

• View Profile
academic vs work experience LOR
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »
Alright, another question. I'll have been working for about a year by the time I apply to law school (two years by time of entry), in a position that I hope will serve to reiterate my desire to work in the public sector. I will have no problem getting LOR from my former professors, but I did not want to ask for one from my employers. Not because I do not do my job well, but because they do not know that I am applying to law school yet. During this difficult economic time (when lay offs are definitely possible), I do not want to risk losing the job that I need in order to save $$ for law school in favor of someone on the long career path.

Is it terribly vital to find a superior to write a letter about my performance (which I don't doubt would be positive if I could find a way to ask without jeopardzing my standing) when I'm only a year out of college? Or are the academic recs enough?

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: academic vs work experience LOR
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »
There is no need to ask a current employer for a letter of recommendation if you are afraid it might adversely affect your position with that employer.  However, that being said, if there is another employer you worked with during college or a more recent summer job who can provide a glowing recommendation, that might provide a little more diversity to your package. Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: academic vs work experience LOR
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »
I got one letter from my former boss and two from profs. I have also not told my current boss about the law school applications (and I'm starting in August) for the same reason. Most of the schools I looked into said that they preferred academic letters, but would also accept professional letters or a combination of the two. I think that you'll probably be fine if you don't get one from your boss, but I like the suggestion about getting one from a former employer if you can. Of course, I only asked my old boss to write mine, because I knew that it would be the best letter I could get from anyone.