Law School Discussion

academic vs work experience LOR

academic vs work experience LOR
« on: January 27, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »
Alright, another question. I'll have been working for about a year by the time I apply to law school (two years by time of entry), in a position that I hope will serve to reiterate my desire to work in the public sector. I will have no problem getting LOR from my former professors, but I did not want to ask for one from my employers. Not because I do not do my job well, but because they do not know that I am applying to law school yet. During this difficult economic time (when lay offs are definitely possible), I do not want to risk losing the job that I need in order to save $$ for law school in favor of someone on the long career path.

Is it terribly vital to find a superior to write a letter about my performance (which I don't doubt would be positive if I could find a way to ask without jeopardzing my standing) when I'm only a year out of college? Or are the academic recs enough?

Re: academic vs work experience LOR
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »
I got one letter from my former boss and two from profs. I have also not told my current boss about the law school applications (and I'm starting in August) for the same reason. Most of the schools I looked into said that they preferred academic letters, but would also accept professional letters or a combination of the two. I think that you'll probably be fine if you don't get one from your boss, but I like the suggestion about getting one from a former employer if you can. Of course, I only asked my old boss to write mine, because I knew that it would be the best letter I could get from anyone.