Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for Texas Wesleyan Graduates/Texas Southern University  (Read 6144 times)

t4bound

• View Profile
    • Email
Question for Texas Wesleyan Graduates/Texas Southern University
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:18:33 AM »
It is highly likely that I will be attending either law school in fall 09.  I am a non traditional 30 something career changer. Before I make my decisions I have a few questions. 

1. Do most students get summer interns?
2. What firms generally recruit from there?
3. Would you suggest a person to apply/attend elsewhere?
4. Will you have a job directly after school, through recruitment or otherwise?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Texas Wesleyan Graduates/Texas Southern University
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »
Not familiar with Texas Wesleyan, but I would advise avoiding Texas Southern.

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/96

The school has had some serious trouble recently (accreditation, etc.). It also has the worst bar passage rate of almost any law school. So for that school specifically, my answers would be:

1. If they do, likely unpaid.
2. Very, very, few recruit there on a regular basis.
3. Yes, try South Texas if you want a 4th tier school in Houston
4. Unless you are one of the top 5 (not top 5%, top 5 people) it's unlikely anybody will recruit you from Texas Southern. You would most likely need to pass the bar and hang a shingle.

Not trying to hate on anybody. I'm sure the school has and will continue to produce some great lawyers. Just fair warning.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:48:07 PM »
Go to South Texas instead. Employment prospects are much, much better. South Texas > Saint Mary's > Oklahoma City > Texas Weslyan >>>>>> Texas Southern.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

t4bound

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:07:01 AM »
Thank you nealric and just some guy for the advice.  I have applied to South Texas as well.  I have not heard anything good about Texas Southern University...EVER.  Thanks for the fair warning.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »
Retake the LSAT and don't go to a T4. I am not a snob, I went to a T4 and transferred up, best decision I ever made. Just keepin' it real.

t4bound

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:07:31 PM »
Sass-
Ultimately you are right.  I feel like I did my best (except for the reading comp).  I do have A QUESTION FOR YOU.  was it difficult to transfer?  did you go from t4-t3 or t4_t2?  the only schools in texas (where i live) is smu (#56) and ut (14?), and u of h which is t2.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »
was it difficult to transfer?  did you go from t4-t3 or t4_t2?  the only schools in texas (where i live) is smu (#56) and ut (14?), and u of h which is t2.

It's always hard to transfer, especially from schools that everyone knows is a bad school.  Don't count on transfer.  Counting on transfer is almost like counting on the fact that you will get a big firm offer.

SMU and UH are both Tier 2 law schools.  I would suggest that you choose UH over SMU.  UT is not Top 14, but close.  It's one of the top three law schools outside of top 14 (Vandy, UT, UCLA). 

What about Texas Tech?  What about neighboring law schools outside of Texas?

Tex117

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »
OP, you really need to give some serious thought to going to law school.

What kind of career change are you looking for?  If you think you will be getting an offer to work for BigLaw, then you need to count that out.  Im not saying its impossible, but the chances are VERY slim.

Would you be happy working at a 4 man insurance defense firm?  If so, law school may be a good decision for you. Be very careful with debt. 

Try retaking the LSAT.  IMO law school beyond the 2nd tier is just not worth the debt, time and trouble.  Im not being a snob, just saying the cold hard truth.

t4bound

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »
Tex117-

Anyone who takes on law school should indeed think about the debt they will incur.  Especially in the weakened economy.  However, to answer your question, I have made a career change from being in the military to now just working.  Going to law school has always been my goal.  As to the debt issue, I live in a state that has programs such as the Hazlewood Act, which pays for 150 hours of college to veterans of Texas.  So my education would be paid for in its entirety.  Secondly, yes I would not mind working in a small law firm.  The money is not my motivator as I am sure that my selection of school, (or the school that selects me), will not put me in position to compete for BigLaw.  To be honest I would not mind working for the government again.  I do thank you for your concerns though.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Secondly, yes I would not mind working in a small law firm. 

Coming out of a law school like Texas Wesleyan or Texas Southern, you would consider yourself lucky to have that option.