Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1Ls Don't Seem Worried about Economy. Why?  (Read 6896 times)

seatochitown

• View Profile
Re: 1Ls Don't Seem Worried about Economy. Why?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »
You're just talking to the wrong 1Ls, Freely.  The economy is clearly having an effect on how many of us are getting firm jobs this summer--people are not oblivious. But what's the use in freaking out about it? I was on much more perilous ground in my former line of work, and I didn't have much trouble getting a job (albeit unpaid) lined up for this summer.

Luxhx77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:29 PM »
I think 2009 and 2010 grads are in much much worse shape than 2011 kids.  Hopefully there will be some recovery is 2010.

That being said... I wouldnt worry so much about the debt.  I am on scholarship and was looking at getting out of school with no debt, but now I am thinking it might just be better to take some loans out, live decently... maybe buy a car with my savings.

We are headed for some MASSIVE inflation...  that 150k in debt will seem like nothing in 5 years.  If anything we should feel lucky that we are able to be loaned money right now.

Luxhx77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 11:52:42 PM »
Everyone's income will eventually catch up.  That is what the "stimulus" is all about.  Create inflation and pass out the money.  The main goal is to make $500k houses reasonable for the average worker so they don't ditch their homes.  You can't do that unless the average worker is making 100-150k a year.

Seriously, the ones who are screwed are those in their 40s and 50's who are in their prime earning years.  They are the ones who will be hardest hit and deserve the sympathy.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:45 AM »
The main goal is to make $500k houses reasonable for the average worker so they don't ditch their homes.

This is not the main goal.  There are better and easier ways of dealing with negative equity.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
Nobody here seems worried...mostly because they're a bunch of punks who never had a real job in the first place and are thus willfully ignorant of how life works.

That and all of the profs and career center people are telling them that by the time we graduate the economy will have turned around. Or, better yet, (and this is my favorite line), "the new administration is going to create all kinds of new regulations that will increase demand for lawyers." Hoy-oh!

What, me worry?

XxWaitlistedxX

• LSD's newest Wisconsin troll...
    • View Profile
    • LSN - Who can predict?
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »
I'm not worried at all.  In fact I'm gonna max out my student loans and borrow as much money as anyone is dumb enough to lend me at a low interest rate.  After the collapse of the dollar, most of my debt will be inflated away and we all get a near-free ride.
IN: Miami, Pitt, PSU($$$), Tulane, Maryland, Wisconsin, FSU, Case
OUT: UIUC, Fordham(PT), OSU, Washington, Hastings
WL: IUB
Def: Iowa
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=XxWaitlistedxX

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »
I'm not worried at all.  In fact I'm gonna max out my student loans and borrow as much money as anyone is dumb enough to lend me at a low interest rate.  After the collapse of the dollar, most of my debt will be inflated away and we all get a near-free ride.

NICE.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 02:47:47 AM »
I *&^% my pants everytime I log on to ATL or read the WSJ.  Seriously.  The bad economic news has forced me to invest in adult diapers.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 11:30:37 PM »
Well, sh*t, Ben Bernanke told me today that the economy is going to turn around in 2010, so obviously this means everything is going to be just peachy. NY to 190!  ;)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »
I *&^% my pants everytime I log on to ATL or read the WSJ.  Seriously.  The bad economic news has forced me to invest in adult diapers.

OOOOHHH! Who makes depends? I know where to put my money!
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.