Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1Ls Don't Seem Worried about Economy. Why?  (Read 6939 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1Ls Don't Seem Worried about Economy. Why?
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:27:37 PM »
 ???

At my school, nobody seems worried in the least, despite the fact that I've met a few 2Ls without offers.

Are there tensions I'm missing beneath the surface?  What about at your school?  Is the whole "stressing out about the economy" an online LSD/xoxo thing?  It doesn't seem material IRL.  People look at me strangely when I talk about the possibility of not getting BigLaw.

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1Ls Don't Seem Worried about Economy. Why?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
No, there are definitely less 2L summer jobs out there this year.  The economy is having a huge effect on biglaw (beyond just firm dissolutions). On the other hand, why worry if you are a 1L?  Not much you can do but try to get good grades this year which is what 1Ls tend to try to do anyway.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »
False - plenty of people here are worried.

th0409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:57:02 PM »
???

At my school, nobody seems worried in the least, despite the fact that I've met a few 2Ls without offers.

Are there tensions I'm missing beneath the surface?  What about at your school?  Is the whole "stressing out about the economy" an online LSD/xoxo thing?  It doesn't seem material IRL.  People look at me strangely when I talk about the possibility of not getting BigLaw.

I think law students aren't worried about the economy for the same reason undergrads/grad students aren't worried. It's because our entire lives we've been taught that education brings opportunity. And the higher the degree the more opportunity. Of course students at top law programs have been programmed to be immune from such silly concepts as economic downturn and recession. It doesn't apply (lol)!

Granted, I think there may be some false sense of hope for some. Everyone is not going to get the 6-figure big law job or the job of their dreams whatever it may be. But also, the economy is every shifting and constantly changing. what holds true this year may not be true next year. people freak out because they've stopped giving new associates big bonuses--that's a reasonable cut back in order to keep the associates they have and to hire new one the next year.

The world will continue to revolve and law firms, non-for profits, public interest, big law will all continue to need lawyers. There will be jobs so there's no reason to panic.
The question is will you take the job?

Eggshell Shin Vosburg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »

Law students are worried about the angle the sun comes up, a pebble in the road, etc. Chicken Little might be an alpha male in law school.

Yeah, the 1Ls I know are worried.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »
I am hoping fears about the economy have something to do with the crazy annoyingness of this year's 1L class. This year's class at my school sucks. 

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »

Like?  Feel free to PM.

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »
Well, I think that in the short term, people are very worried that the economy is going to prevent them from getting a 1L summer job.

In terms of biglaw long term, maybe people are just thinking that they're better positioned than most by being at U of C.  I think most people realize that biglaw is in trouble, but whether or not they're worried about their own personal chances to get biglaw I'm not sure.

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
In terms of biglaw long term, maybe people are just thinking that they're better positioned than most by being at U of C. 

they are, much like the people on the upper decks of the titanic.

hahaha

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »
crossing my fingers the p.i. market demand stays constant.

i've heard rumblings that our p.i. kids are struggling. also, i don't know why you'd think that funding and competition for these jobs wouldn't be affected by this mess.