Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: so I got into UC Irvine  (Read 1775 times)

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
so I got into UC Irvine
« on: January 26, 2009, 04:00:20 PM »
I kinda applied just for the hell of it, since it was free to apply and everything. I live in PA and every other school I applied to is in Philly, NY, or DC... and that general sort of mid-atlantic corridor is where I think I'd wanna live/work. Now those damn Californians go and dangle free tuition in front of my face. It's fun the way the choices get more complicated every time I hear back from a school.

modum03

• View Profile
Re: so I got into UC Irvine
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Be thankful.
Cheers.

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:05:15 PM »
Oh, I am. UCI was just sorta the crazy wild card school in my application scheme that I hadn't thought about much, and now my hierarchy of potential attendance possibilities is all shook up.

win200

• "What do you mean, you people?"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »
Now if only a school like Georgetown would dangle free tuition in front of your face and make the choice easier...

I kinda applied just for the hell of it, since it was free to apply and everything. I live in PA and every other school I applied to is in Philly, NY, or DC... and that general sort of mid-atlantic corridor is where I think I'd wanna live/work. Now those damn Californians go and dangle free tuition in front of my face. It's fun the way the choices get more complicated every time I hear back from a school.

blackberry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »
It blows my mind how many people applied to UCI "just for the hell of it" and are now so nonchalant about getting in.

Doesn't UCI want students who are passionate and eager to attend the school? Why would they want to offer full tuition and invest in a class of students that didn't have a strong desire to attend in the first place?

In any case, congratulations to the original poster, I guess.

SamE397

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »
It blows my mind how many people applied to UCI "just for the hell of it" and are now so nonchalant about getting in.

Doesn't UCI want students who are passionate and eager to attend the school? Why would they want to offer full tuition and invest in a class of students that didn't have a strong desire to attend in the first place?

Even though the consensus is that Irvine will be able to buck the trend getting a new law school started and making it semi-respectable is a really hard thing to do. Irvine is pushing really hard to get good students.

giant_slayer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 06:01:21 AM »
The first class of UC Irvine is so crucial to the future of the law school, that the free tuition is a VERY small price to pay. The students who decide to take the ride is accepting a loyalty check, that in 20 years they are going to be somebody, doing something useful. Their success will cement or destroy UCI Law...so it is a very heavy responsibility.

Trust me, UCI will try their very best to build as many talents as they can buy off the auction.
david taking down goliath is not an exception to the rule, it IS the rule.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »
OP, any closer to making a decision if you're going or not?
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
Well I've been (expectedly) rejected from GULC PT, which was my biggest reach school. Still waiting to hear from GW and Fordham. The biggest obstacle keeping me from choosing UCI for sure is that I'd have to convince my girlfriend to follow me across the country. I'm actually going to visit the UCI campus at the end of the month (I happened to already have plans to go out to SoCal on vacation anyway) so I'll probably have a better idea of what's gonna happen with me once that's all figured out.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »

Haint.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.