Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wake Forest vs. Indiana-Bloomington  (Read 1327 times)

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Wake Forest vs. Indiana-Bloomington
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »
Got my acceptance from Wake early last week, just got accepted at Indiana-Bloomington via e-mail.

I see that the two schools are ranked very similarly, with slight edges to Indiana in ranking and starting salary. I know that the prevailing answer is likely to be, "Go where you want to practice," but I'm dealing with limited information either way as far as that goes. I'm in Washington state, born and raised here, so obviously I'm looking at a long move either way, but one I'm quite willing to make. I've been to North Carolina once years ago, thought it was absolutely beautiful. Haven't ever been to Indiana, but Bloomington sounds like a great place to go to school (I dig the small town thing, I'm not much for big cities).

Was just hoping people could give me some thoughts to help me make a decision here. Is either one a clearly better school? What about a better area to live and go to school in?

I appreciate any and all input.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: Wake Forest vs. Indiana-Bloomington
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »
I would suggest you go to both places and visit. IU is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but both Indianapolis and Louisvile are a short drive away. I've never been to Wake, but I'm pretty sure its also kind of in the middle of nowhere with some of the bigger NC cities a few hours away. Since you don't know where you want to live, the best thing you can do is go to both places and see where you feel more comfortable and where you think you might be happiest. Good luck!
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:50:29 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to get out and visit both. "Out in the middle of nowhere" is cool with me, my undergrad (Washington State) very much fits that description, probably more than these schools do, and I loved it.

MidWesternPleb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:42:46 AM »
Bloomington is the quintessential college town - think a slightly smaller version of U. Michigan.  If you're a traditional student in your early twenties, you probably couldn't find a better place to spend the next few years.

One of my old UG friends went to WFL but I've never been there.  He's struggled in the job market (despite top 10%), but don't read too much into that.  He has some personality 'issues'.

And IU-B won't restrict you to practicing in Indiana - despite what some websites and blogs may say. If you do well you'll be competitive in most big markets - especially Chicago, and from what I hear, D.C.  Indy and FW firms tend to drift more towards IU-Indy grads who pretty much are restricted to Indiana.  That way they don't have to compete with the bigger salaries in the bigger markets for IU-B grads.

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »
Well, I'll be 29 by the fall, so "early twenties" left town a few years ago, but hopefully I could manage to enjoy Bloomington anyway.  ;)

Thanks for your post. The more I look at this decision, the more I'm liking Indiana. I'll be seeing both in person though, hopefully that'll make my decision a lot easier. That, or the financial aid packages...who knows.

MidWesternPleb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »
 :D

I didn't mean to imply anything - I'm a 32yo 1L myself.  I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy IU-B.

taft52

• UGPA 2.932 LSAT 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »
Clearly, Wake Forest is not in the middle of nowhere. It's in Winston-Salem, NC, which is a decent sized city (at least as southern cities go.) It's definitely more than just a "college town" with lots of other stuff to do.

I have no clue about which school to go to, but wanted to clear that up.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Wake.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:53:54 PM »
Wake.

Just because it's closer to Florida, or what?  :)

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 05:56:28 PM »
Clearly, Wake Forest is not in the middle of nowhere. It's in Winston-Salem, NC, which is a decent sized city (at least as southern cities go.) It's definitely more than just a "college town" with lots of other stuff to do.

I have no clue about which school to go to, but wanted to clear that up.

I did wonder about that assessment too. It's an hour from Charlotte, a bit more than an hour from Raleigh, so it's not far from the biggest places. It does have a rep for not having a ton to do, but hopefully that's wrong.

Thanks for the input, everyone. These travel costs are less than desirable, but I'm really looking forward to my trips out to Indy and NC in March.