Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is 5 pages too much (1500 words)?  (Read 4090 times)

aldiinfo

Is 5 pages too much (1500 words)?
« on: January 26, 2009, 12:40:46 AM »
To get all of what I want in a personal statement, I am at 5 pages.  I am wondering if this is a complete no-no for any University?  The college I really want to attend (Baltimore) does not mention anything about a page preference.  However, another university that I was also considering applying to does (2 pages). 

In addition to that question, if anyone would be willing to review my personal statement in exchange for my review of yours, please let me know.  I do not want to paste it here, but if you send me your e-mail address I will send you it...   

Thanks in advance for your help and good luck everyone, Nick

nicholasgrimaldi@aol.com

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Is 5 pages too much (1500 words)?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:53:20 AM »
Your personal statement probably should not exceed 2 pages.  You really need to cut it down.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:15:06 AM »
Yes. Try for 1.5 pages, usually if that's what I aim for I'll get closer to two then I can work on rewording sentences to be more concise
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:19:23 PM »
Nobody wants to read more than two pages. Some schools (not many, but a few) even have a 500 word limit. They might throw out your application on general principle if you want them to spend that much time reading your PS.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
Yes. You can turn it in, but they won't read it.

500 words is probably best. Definitely not more than 750. Don't try to tell your life's story.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »
To get all of what I want in a personal statement, I am at 5 pages.  I am wondering if this is a complete no-no for any University?  The college I really want to attend (Baltimore) does not mention anything about a page preference.  However, another university that I was also considering applying to does (2 pages). 

In addition to that question, if anyone would be willing to review my personal statement in exchange for my review of yours, please let me know.  I do not want to paste it here, but if you send me your e-mail address I will send you it...   

Thanks in advance for your help and good luck everyone, Nick

nicholasgrimaldi@aol.com

Boalt/Berkeley allows for 4 pages max.  just to let u know.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »
Although the school does not mention a page limit, you still don't want to go too far beyond 2 pages.  Take another look at your personal statement and see if you are including anything that does not need to be there.  Also, try to make sure you are concentrating on one central theme - because that is what they are really looking for - a well organized paper that communicates one main idea or concept.  Good luck!

aldiinfo

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »

Thanks all. 

I believe my 5 page essay is really good and I was going to just follow my own stubbornness despite what some of you wrote in the beginning.  However, enough people have said the same thing so I got the hint and have reduced it to two pages.  I am glad others wrote about the topic as well.  :)   

I think the essay is pretty good, but I am not as impressed with my ending.  If anyone would be willing to read it and maybe offer a suggestion on how to better end it, please let me know. 

Thanks again for all your advice and inputs. 

Best, Nick

nicholasgrimaldi@aol.com

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:52:46 PM »
I would actually like to know what you talk about for 5 pages.  You can pm it to me.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.