Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The supplements thread.  (Read 2519 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
The supplements thread.
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »
In this thread we talk about the best supplements for different classes, and how to use them.

Allow me to offer some suggestions:

(1) Constitutional Law:  Chemerinsky.  I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone taking Con Law.  I can't emphasize this enough.  Get familiar with the cases from class, and read the 5-10 corresponding pages in Chemerinsky.  He gives an insightful "how the justices are thinking about this issue" type of analysis.

(2) Criminal Law:  Dressler.  This book is good for "filling in the blanks".  Its presented in a condensed and clearly organized format.  Not incredibly insightful like Chemerinsky, but a good resource if you're struggling to figure out how to build a case for accomplice liability or conspiracy. Includes both common law and MPC discussions, clearly separated.

(3)  Torts:  Never really found anything good for torts.  The E&E was OK, but seriously, if you can't figure out the basic elements of a torts case, then what are you doing in law school? 

Anyone have suggestions for books (and how to use them) for Civ Pro, Contracts, and Property?  It took me about half of the semester to figure out the best supplements for my classes last semester and would like to cut the chase this time around...
_______
.|E|R|S.

RonSantoRules

• View Profile
Re: The supplements thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:26:39 PM »
Civ Pro: Took last semester. Glannon E&E and also "The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure." The guide is all multiple choice questions, so if you don't have MC you might not want to get it. However, regardless of your final format, it is a great book for testing your knowledge of the rules and jurisdiction (keep in mind that the rules have changed since the guide was last printed so there are a couple discrepancies).

Property: Just taking this semester. I bought the E&E, Commercial Outline, Moynihan & Kurtz 'Introduction to the law of real property' and a workbook titled "Estates in Land and Future Interests" (Makdisi and Bogart from Aspen). No clue if they are worthwhile.

Contracts: Took last semester. E&E by Blum and Chirelstein's "Contracts" with the funny looking boat on the front.

ALL CLASSES: Use the Cali online lessons at CALI.ORG. They have a lesson for damn near every bit of 1L doctrine. Immensely helpful, although they do go into more depth on some subjects than one might need. These are FREE and you can get the password from your school librarian.

Also, I liked the Siegel's books (which are for all 1L subjects and some 2L like Professional Responsibility and Evidence), which contain essays and multiple choice questions and lists the doctrines they cover in the table of contents. I liked them a lot and they were great exam prep (in terms of setting up an outline of an exam answer) and you can get them for $10 or so from half.com

I vouch for all these supplements being useful (with the exception of property since I am just taking it), but mileage always varies depending on the professor and focus of the class.

HTH

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:57:57 AM »

Anyone have suggestions for Wills and Trusts?

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 05:21:34 PM »
I don't recommend any specific supplements. I would recommend going to your professor and asking them if they recommend any and get those ones. Supplements vary widely in their treatment of a subject as well as the view they take on specific issues. You don't want to be coughing up views about an issue that your professor disagrees with on an exam...

That's just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

combative0L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:00:58 PM »
HELP! I'm trying to find the best supplements to start studying so when I start in the fall I will be prepared to go. So far I've found this thread and a long post at the Blackbook Legal Blog about what books are best, but I want more advice. What should I buy? Are the tips here and at that Blog TCR?

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
HELP! I'm trying to find the best supplements to start studying so when I start in the fall I will be prepared to go. So far I've found this thread and a long post at the Blackbook Legal Blog about what books are best, but I want more advice. What should I buy? Are the tips here and at that Blog TCR?

Dude, there are a billion other threads on this. The only thing you need to read is Getting to Maybe. I also recommend a book called Acing Your First Year of Law School. Other than that, relax and enjoy the summer. You'll be pining for Christmas break before you know it.

combative0L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
Link me?!?!

otrintroy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:45:57 AM »
I also used, as mentioned above, Acing Your First Year of Law School. I thought it was simple, no-nonsense advice. Here's the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Acing-Your-First-Year-School/dp/0837714109/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236084225&sr=1-1

It looks like they just put out a new edition. I'd say you'd be fine with the old one since it's only like 3 or 4 bucks (+shipping). It's the one I used and I doubt law school has changed that much.

combative0L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:15 AM »
I also used, as mentioned above, Acing Your First Year of Law School. I thought it was simple, no-nonsense advice. Here's the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Acing-Your-First-Year-School/dp/0837714109/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236084225&sr=1-1

It looks like they just put out a new edition. I'd say you'd be fine with the old one since it's only like 3 or 4 bucks (+shipping). It's the one I used and I doubt law school has changed that much.

OMG Thanks!!!!!