Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nova or Stetson????  (Read 6527 times)

Georgiagrad

• View Profile
Nova or Stetson????
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
I am stuck between Nova and Stetson. I have family that lives in S. Florida, so attending Nova would cost very little in terms of housing. I know that Stetson is supposedly more 'prestige', but is it worth paying the extra money to attend??? please give me some advice....

thanks

jarfrey juhraf

• View Profile
Re: Nova or Stetson????
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »
Good question. I don't know the answer, but I would like to hear it.

Where do you want to practice?

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
Have you already been accepted to both?

Stetson usually gives money out when your LSAT is 160+.

I live and work in the legal field in Tampa and I can honestly say I know of no attorneys that attended Nova.  It is like a Stetson alumni meeting where I work.  They are also nationally recognized for their Mock Trial team.  And I've heard from an Emory law grad that competing on Stetson's Mock Trial team makes you golden. (Exaggeration I am sure)

Frankly, Stetson just has the better name recognition.  Especially in the Tampa/St. Pete area which I consider SoFla...

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »

Definately not Nova.  About 20% of their entering class will not receive a JD. 

Jessica3303

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 02:54:22 AM »
Have you already been accepted to both?

Stetson usually gives money out when your LSAT is 160+.

I live and work in the legal field in Tampa and I can honestly say I know of no attorneys that attended Nova.  It is like a Stetson alumni meeting where I work.  They are also nationally recognized for their Mock Trial team.  And I've heard from an Emory law grad that competing on Stetson's Mock Trial team makes you golden. (Exaggeration I am sure)

Frankly, Stetson just has the better name recognition.  Especially in the Tampa/St. Pete area which I consider SoFla...

Tampa and Saint Pete certainly are not considered south Florida. The most northern point that is still considered south Florida is Palm beach county. Tampa is more west central Florida.

Of course Stetson has more recognition in the Tampa/St. Pete area. The Tampa/St. Pete area is a very small area in comparison to the south Florida Tri-County area. Stetson is in a limited area, so it is common sense that the majority of the lawyers in that one particular area are either from Stetson or know of Stetson. I know that Stetson is known for their mock trial team, but that would only concern you if you are planning to be on the trial team. FYI being on the mock trial team takes up a huge amount of your time.

They are both pretty much on the "same playing field." If housing would be cheaper for you in south Florida, then I say go for it! Both schools are private and have very high tuitions. Saving money on housing would be a big help.

Finally, Nova is practically in between Broward and Dade county. Being in between the two "big" counties would have a lot more internship/employment opportunities than the Tampa area.

Just my two cents! ;D

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:18:54 AM »
Assuming no scholarships, probably Nova for the lower living expenses, though Stetson is the better school and you shouldn't discount that fact in making your decision.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:38:41 PM »
Assuming no scholarships, probably Nova for the lower living expenses, though Stetson is the better school and you shouldn't discount that fact in making your decision.

Are you serious?  I assume their tuition are about the same.  If that's the case, definately Stetson, even with the added cost of rent.   

The better question is, did OP apply to FSU or UF?  If not or if didn't get in, why not apply to FIU?   

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:45:58 PM »

Are you serious?  I assume their tuition are about the same.  If that's the case, definately Stetson, even with the added cost of rent.   

The better question is, did OP apply to FSU or UF?  If not or if didn't get in, why not apply to FIU?   

Eh, like I said, Nova's cheaperness is nice, but he should still think about the fact Stetson is better.

Good question. FIU is probably the worst of the three, but not by too much and it's cheap as hell.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:34 PM »

Eh, like I said, Nova's cheaperness is nice, but he should still think about the fact Stetson is better.

Good question. FIU is probably the worst of the three, but not by too much and it's cheap as hell.

Stetson is about 25K per year, right?  FIU in-state is about 8K, right?  How much is Nova? 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »

Stetson is about 25K per year, right?  FIU in-state is about 8K, right?  How much is Nova? 

Nova and Stetson are both $29k. FIU in state is just under $10k, out of state is $24k.