Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone considering UALR this fall???  (Read 2784 times)

Esquire1920

• View Profile
Anyone considering UALR this fall???
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »
I am from the East coast so I definitely do not know anything about Arkansas, but I am very impressed with what I have seen from UALR. I haven't gotten a chance to visit, but I anticipate doing so within the next month or so. If you already attend or if you are planning to attend, and you are familiar with the area, can you give me a little bit of insight? There isn't much on this discussion board about UALR ironically so its been a bit of a wild goose chase for me!

I'd love to get feedback on the following topics:
Campus
Faculty
Students
Job Prospects (not Biglaw... just decent respectable positions)
Diversity
Weather (lol  ::) I said I didn't know anything about Arkansas.. )
_________(Fill in the blank with anything that you think I've missed  ;D  )

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I do hope that I can get a better idea of the school from your responses. I am excited at the possibility of starting over somewhere completely new and different :-)

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone considering UALR this fall???
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:35:46 PM »
I am from the East coast so I definitely do not know anything about Arkansas, but I am very impressed with what I have seen from UALR. I haven't gotten a chance to visit, but I anticipate doing so within the next month or so. If you already attend or if you are planning to attend, and you are familiar with the area, can you give me a little bit of insight? There isn't much on this discussion board about UALR ironically so its been a bit of a wild goose chase for me!

I'd love to get feedback on the following topics:
Campus
Faculty
Students
Job Prospects (not Biglaw... just decent respectable positions)
Diversity
Weather (lol  ::) I said I didn't know anything about Arkansas.. )
_________(Fill in the blank with anything that you think I've missed  ;D  )

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I do hope that I can get a better idea of the school from your responses. I am excited at the possibility of starting over somewhere completely new and different :-)

See my reply to the other LR thread. My knowledge of UALR is somewhat limited because i go to UA-Faye, but I am from Dallas originally and can tell you that it is not the parade of hillbillies that you would expect if you stick to LR and NW Arkansas. I actually love it here.

Clara Bear

• View Profile
Re: Anyone considering UALR this fall???
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »
I know this was posted a long time ago, but I figured I'd respond bc I'm currently at UALR.

Campus -- Not beautiful.  Far(ish) away from the main campus, but you never need to go to the main campus any way.

Faculty -- I've LOVED almost every prof I've had.  For the  most part, they've very approachable, even though a few of them are socially awkward.  There aren't a lot of profs here who are super scary.

Students -- ?? not sure what you want here.  There are really nice people and total d-bags.. just like any where else.  I'm in the PT program and the atmosphere for us isn't super competitve.

Location -- The school itself is in a slightly sketchy area, but most of the rest of Little Rock is fine.  I love that Little Rock is actually trying to improve (expanding and remodeling historical sections of town, trying to incorporate things like bike and walking trails into the city).

Job prospects -- Excellent, especially if you want to stay in central AR.  Not sure how well the degree would travel initially unless you had some connections somewhere else.  Many, many attorneys in LR went to UALR, and I haven't felt disadvantaged at all in any of my job searches.  There are a few big (for the area) firms, many mid-sized firms, and lots of small employers.  Since this is the state capitol, there are also lots of courts, including the AR Supreme Court and the 8th circuit.  Then there are government jobs like the AG's office and the US Attorney's office and all that jazz.  I have some friends who work with the legislature, editing the text of bills, too.  So, there's a wide variety of jobs here.  There are OCIs each spring and fall.  The career services office is also trying to bring in some smaller employers to make students aware of those opportunities, as well.

Diversity -- Racial diversity?  The city is diverse.  I didn't look in to any other schools (knew I wanted to be in this area), so I'm not sure how diverse UALR is as compared to other schools.  There are lots of women in our class, lots of people of different ages, and a few different races.  We have a very active black students' association and women's student association.

Weather -- HOT and humid in the summer, comparatively cold in the winter.  We don't get much snow, but there is an ice storm every few years.  The spring and fall are excellent, but unfortunately, they each only last a few weeks.  Then it gets hot.

You've probably already made your decision (what was it?), but I really like UALR, and I feel like it's gotten better, even just in the 2 years I've been there.