Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rank at GW  (Read 19893 times)

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Rank at GW
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
For anyone at GW who knows: what's been the GPA cutoff to be 5-10% in the past? What GPA is virtually guaranteed to be top 5%? (3.8? 4.0?) And is there any way to figure out your specific rank? (not just the rough top 15%-30% scholar designations).

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rank at GW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:33:11 AM »
GW doesn't give anything BUT scholar designations.  There are no other ranks and you will never hear "top 5% of the class."

They give you your actual rank number at graduation from what I've heard, but you can't use it for anything.  It's just for your knowledge.

All you can put on your resume is GW Scholar/top 15%, Truman Scholar/top 35%.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:01:57 AM »
Damn.  They should have a top 5% designation. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:23 AM »
Why?  There's no need. If you are top 10% you can get any job you want.  Even with top 1/3 you are pretty well set at GW.

Hell, I'm just outside of the top 1/3 and spent 1L summer working BigLaw and will spend my second summer working for a well-regarded Vault firm.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:53:29 PM »
Why?  There's no need. If you are top 10% you can get any job you want.  Even with top 1/3 you are pretty well set at GW.

Hell, I'm just outside of the top 1/3 and spent 1L summer working BigLaw and will spend my second summer working for a well-regarded Vault firm.

Sure there's a need: Clerkships.  I'm gonna be competing with top students from top schools.... need every edge I can get.  But I agree that it might not be a need for everybody. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »

Sure there's a need: Clerkships.  I'm gonna be competing with top students from top schools.... need every edge I can get.  But I agree that it might not be a need for everybody. 

When you apply for clerkships through Oscar, which is the majority of the clerkship applications, the school will release your actual percentage ranking.  You can see it then.  You are not allowed to share it with anyone or use it for any other job purposes though.  So, your concerns about clerkships are already addressed by the school (I think it may be a new policy as of this past clerkship cycle, it seemed like it anyway).  As for firms, I think with the quantity of apps they see, they have a pretty good idea of where you fall within the range.  Good luck.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »

When you apply for clerkships through Oscar, which is the majority of the clerkship applications, the school will release your actual percentage ranking.  You can see it then.  You are not allowed to share it with anyone or use it for any other job purposes though.  So, your concerns about clerkships are already addressed by the school (I think it may be a new policy as of this past clerkship cycle, it seemed like it anyway).  As for firms, I think with the quantity of apps they see, they have a pretty good idea of where you fall within the range.  Good luck.

Awesome.  That's great news... thanks. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 01:05:11 AM »
you are welcome.  Sorry I double posted, I didnt think the first one went through.  Best of luck!  If you ever run into questions about anything GW related, feel free to PM me.

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 01:44:49 AM »
When is GW going to post the rankings?
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 04:09:09 PM »
When is GW going to post the rankings?

I hope it is soon.  I know I am ranked but my ranking hasnt been posted on the Banner yet.  I think the last grades may have been due last week, so I wouldnt be surprised if it is in the next week or so.