Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer from a T25 to T14...?  (Read 2928 times)

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transfer from a T25 to T14...?
« on: January 24, 2009, 09:44:37 AM »
So, I'm at a T25 school and in the top 10%. I'm curious on people's thoughts about transferring to a T10 school (one of MVPB). The main thing that holds me back is that I'm basically guaranteed a spot on law review here. However, I'm thinking that just being a Michigan or Virginia grad, for example, will trump that.

Any thoughts on what you would do (or what you think about this) would be appreciated. Also, would I have any shot at getting into HYS if I was top 5%? at a T25 school?

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer from a T25 to T14...?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »
anyone know if i'd have a shot at HYS being top 10 or top 5 percent? My UGPA was terrible (sub 3 from LSDAS), but my LSAT was quite high.

also, if i wanted a shot at teaching or doing a fed clerkship (district or possibly CoA (i know they're competitive)), do you think it would be worth trying to transfer to Chicago? I wouldn't want to do NYU or Columbia...I couldn't take NYC (plus I'm married with a child).

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
anyone know if i'd have a shot at HYS being top 10 or top 5 percent? My UGPA was terrible (sub 3 from LSDAS), but my LSAT was quite high.

also, if i wanted a shot at teaching or doing a fed clerkship (district or possibly CoA (i know they're competitive)), do you think it would be worth trying to transfer to Chicago? I wouldn't want to do NYU or Columbia...I couldn't take NYC (plus I'm married with a child).

Do you need to be on law review to have a shot at federal clerkships or teaching?

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »

Do you need to be on law review to have a shot at federal clerkships or teaching?

I don't know. Coming from a lower school I would say definitely, but it may not be as essential if you're at HYS or CCN. Although I think a federal clerkship is practically essential for teaching.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 05:53:41 PM »
Anywhere in the T14 will put you in a better shape for academia.  It's very "name brand." The only problem is that law review seems pretty essential for the academia gigs.  There are also some T25 schools that I wouldn't bother to transfer from if I had a spot on law review.  Vandy, Texas, UCLA and maybe GW.  If you're at W&L, it's not exactly a prof/clerkship factory....

Also. Something to consider. I know people who actually had FEWER chances to get jobs at their new school. They got more OCI interviews, but had a hard time standing up to against the current school students in OCI because they didn't have any grades at the school, weren't on any of the competitive teams/journals, etc. It'd be worth chatting with whatever career services office of the school you're interested in to see how they do OCI.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »
Also. Something to consider. I know people who actually had FEWER chances to get jobs at their new school. They got more OCI interviews, but had a hard time standing up to against the current school students in OCI because they didn't have any grades at the school, weren't on any of the competitive teams/journals, etc. It'd be worth chatting with whatever career services office of the school you're interested in to see how they do OCI.

To which schools did these people transfer?  Are you talking about top ten schools or the Georgetown/Vandy/Texas variety?

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 04:14:32 PM »
These were T2/T4 transfers to schools ranked in the 20s and 30s.  I don't know if it's a common occurrence, but the transfers to my school from all over didn't fare as well in the OCI process; they got jobs eventually (I think) but most had to settle for much less than they'd hoped, but they would have been the top kids from their old school.  It's something to think about at least and try to research more.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »
These were T2/T4 transfers to schools ranked in the 20s and 30s.  I don't know if it's a common occurrence, but the transfers to my school from all over didn't fare as well in the OCI process; they got jobs eventually (I think) but most had to settle for much less than they'd hoped, but they would have been the top kids from their old school.  It's something to think about at least and try to research more.

Ok, I would not have expected a transfer to a school in the 20s or 30s to get much of a break.  I would expect, as a transfer, to have access to more employers, but to be treated as though I was around median at the new school.  At a school in the 20s or 30s, I don't think the 2L summer job opportunities for someone at median are worth.  Are you at GULC or NU by chance?

NYC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »
Anybody have any idea how transfers from T20-30 schools do at schools like MVP? I've heard that they usually do fairly well, but I'm curious if anyone has any information on this.