Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia 1Ls taking questions  (Read 12642 times)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
Nice entry on the Admitted Students blog!  That's a great picture of you.

Thanks!
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

imchuckbass58

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
Random, slightly douchey question for any of you who have / are going to attend the admitted student days.

What do people usually wear to these sorts of things? I would assume they're relatively casual but the whole 6pm-8pm "Welcome Reception" is kind of throwing me off.

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
Yeah, I would definitely go with "nice casual."  Something like jeans and a sweater is appropriate.
Columbia 2011

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
Wow! I completely forgot it's that time of year again! Hi prospies (propective students)!
I would love to gush CLS-love for you all too. And maybe complain a little too. ;)
CLS 2011

daisyduck

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »
What does a typical week look like for a 1L?
Sorry if it's already been answered, but it will be interesting to see how different students manage their schedule.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »
What does a typical week look like for a 1L?
Sorry if it's already been answered, but it will be interesting to see how different students manage their schedule.

Monday through Wednesday are my busiest class days.  If I was very productive over the weekend and got my week's reading done, then I usually spend weeknights relaxing at home, playing online poker, or going to free dinner events at the law school.  I signed up to be in the law school musical this semester, and I have a short rehearsal for that on Monday night, and then a longer one on Wednesday night.  Sometimes I'll meet up with some of my college friends who live in the city.  Last week, our moot court brief was due, so I spent a lot of my weekday time researching/writing it.

Thursday I only have one class, so I sleep in, run a lot of errands (I love NYC grocery stores), and go to my one class.  My boyfriend lives in D.C., so if I'm visiting him over the weekend, I usually leave town at around 3:30 on Thursday (no Friday class FTW!)  I don't usually go to bar review on Thursday nights (personal preference), but I try to go once in a while.

Friday involves getting an extra hour of sleep, and then trying to do reading for most of the day.  I host a big poker game at my apartment one or two Fridays a month.  I'd say I go out about half of the remaining Fridays, and the other half I relax, watch TV, and do reading.

If I'm in NYC (as opposed to DC), Saturday and Sunday during the day are my reading days.  I like the freedom of having most of my stuff done over the weekend, so I try to get as much done as possible on these days.  I stop work in time to make myself nice dinners (or to go out and meet friends for dinner).  I am usually out somewhere on Saturday night, although sometimes I have a weekend where ALL I want to do is just relax in sweatpants.  I'm a big fan of Sunday brunch and try to maximize my brunch consumption :)

This particular weekend will be one of those not-a-lot-of-work ones... Friday I'm going to a Himalayan art museum in Chelsea with friends (happy hour + free admission + live music), then we will probably go to the lower east side for some food/drinks.  Saturday night is law school prom, which comes with the standard pre-parties and activities.  Hoping to just kind of explore NYC on Saturday afternoon and Sunday with the boyfriend.  Maybe go for a run.

LSN

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
buuuuuuuuuump.

Anybody going to the program after spring break?

LSN

Mellski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2009, 09:14:47 AM »
I finished reading through this whole topic thread, however, i was wondering what percentage you must be in regards to class rank at Columbia to be likely to be accepted into a BigLaw job?

Thanks!

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
I finished reading through this whole topic thread, however, i was wondering what percentage you must be in regards to class rank at Columbia to be likely to be accepted into a BigLaw job?

Thanks!

Hard to say.  In years past, I would have said something ridiculous, like top 90% or something.  These days, something less than that.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »

Thanks!

Hard to say.  In years past, I would have said something ridiculous, like top 90% or something.  These days, something less than that.

agreed. nobody really knows yet, but we'll probably have a better idea after my class (class of 2011) finishes this year's interview season.  columbia has traditionally done quite well, though, and elite law schools will probably have less of a hard time with this kind of thing than others (especially if you're shooting for NYC). 

LSN