Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: White Applicants to Howard Law?  (Read 2471 times)

byron2008

• View Profile
White Applicants to Howard Law?
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:57:46 AM »
I know that technically schools cannot discriminate based on race, but do any of you Howard students or alumni know what the chances are that a "minority" like me will be given a fair shot at getting in? Or, more generally speaking, the ratio of black to white students in the school? I have a 4.0 GPA from LSU and I am going to sit for the LSAT next month. Based on the index calculator, (reliable?) it seems that I would be a shoe-in if I make anything over a 150 on the LSAT. But would admissions take into account the fact that I am not black when they review my application? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

-Byron

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: White Applicants to Howard Law?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »
I know that technically schools cannot discriminate based on race

Start over.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »
Howard is a traditionally  black school so the ratio to of black to white is overwhelming (check out the stats on LSAC). I knew a white guy who went there and, while I never really discussed this with him at length, seemed to enjoy it. I don't know how the URM status would work there but my instinct finds it a little unacceptable that a white guy at a black school would get an URM scholarship this way. Someone once told me they knew a white guy that got a URM scholarship to attend NC Central, but that rumor traveled via word of mouth and I don't necessarily find this to be a reliable source.

Pick a school you want to attend because it fits you.

byron2008

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
SASS,
When did I ever say anything about getting a URM scholarship? That is your own bias kicking in by making that assumption. I don't want a scholarship, I want to go to the school because it is located in my hometown area (no room and board charges), it's affordable, and alumni have great starting salaries.

han solo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »
I would apply to Howard, but they have no PT program and I need to work while I am in law school.  I am white and I live pretty close to the Howard campus.  I would go there because it would be very convenient for me because of the distance, and it is a pretty decent law school.  Half of my family is black too so I am sure they would think it is interesting that I go there!  I know a few white people that go there that didn't seem any smarter or any dumber than the majority black student body, that's all I can really say.  LSAT is much more important than GPA though so I would try to get at least in the mid 150's just to be sure.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »
I know that technically schools cannot discriminate based on race, but do any of you Howard students or alumni know what the chances are that a "minority" like me will be given a fair shot at getting in?
-Byron

Byron,

This is a dumb question and since you have a 4.0 gpa then you KNOW that this is a dumb question. If you know that Law Schools can't discriminate based on race then why are you asking if Howard would discriminate against you because of your race?

Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
You'll probably have more favorable chances to get in than you otherwise would have based on your "minority" status. Good job.

YLS c/o 2009

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »
I know that technically schools cannot discriminate based on race, but do any of you Howard students or alumni know what the chances are that a "minority" like me will be given a fair shot at getting in?
-Byron

Byron,

This is a dumb ass question and since you have a 4.0 gpa then you KNOW that this is a dumb ass question. If you know that Law Schools can't discriminate based on race then why are you asking if Howard would discriminate against you because of your race?

Fixt.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 01:43:55 PM »
-Byron

Byron,

This is a dumb question and since you have a 4.0 gpa then you KNOW that this is a dumb question. If you know that Law Schools can't discriminate based on race then why are you asking if Howard would discriminate against you because of your race?

That's "dumb-assed question". lol.