Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone out there have a pilot's license?  (Read 779 times)

The Thread Starter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone out there have a pilot's license?
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »
Tell us what it's like to fly.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone out there have a pilot's license?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:31:46 AM »
I actually would really like to get a pilot's license.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:07:55 AM »
Planes are death traps.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »
I got my private pilots license at 18. During my junior and senior summers in high school I went to ďflight campĒ run by a flight school at a university. It was 12 weeks each summer where we took lessons, learned stuff in the classroom, then flew with an instructor in the college program in Cessna 152s and 172s and a Beech Bonanza V tail. After the senior summer you had all the qualifications to do your solo and get your VFR rating. I did that and got my license.

Flying was incrediblely fun, but every expensive with fuel, continuing education, and plane rental. By the time I was about 23 I stopped keeping my license up to date. Now about 10 years later Iím deathly afraid to fly, I have not been on a plane in five plus years and absolutely hate flying, Iíll drive 12 hours before Iíll fly one. Weird.

I donít know why this is, I was never afraid before, but now Iím petrified, the only reason I can come up with was that I was always afraid to fly, but being at the controls made it easier, and now when I sit in the back with no control I freak out. Itís the same with driving, I almost always drive my friends when we go someplace, just because I donít like the way they drive as a passenger. In fact I have a really good friend I see almost every day seven days a week for over a year, and Iíve never been in his car even once, I always drive. Maybe itís a control thing. I dunno but I canít fly anymore. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »
Matthies = tyrannical control freak with numerous disorders and teh deadly Gay
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:10:49 PM »
Matthies = tyrannical control freak with numerous disorders and teh deadly Gay

*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »
Not licensed, but my dad started flying when I was 6 yrs old, so I have plenty of right seat control time. I'm at the point that I could fly a Cessna around by myself without killing anybody.

It can be a lot of fun, but the expense is staggering, and I decided a long time ago I had more fun mountain biking or rock climbing. One of my best friends is going for his CFI (certified flight instructor) soon, so I might eventually get around do being licensed. It seems like it would be most useful if you were pretty wealthy but not quite private jet wealthy. Buy a sleek plane with a fast cruising speed and jet around the country on a whim. Something like this:

(Cirrus Turbo). Also has a parachute in case something goes wrong. Cruises at about 1/2 the speed of a commercial flight, so would actually be faster for trips under 500 miles or so due to no security/waiting for flight/usually less travel time to airport (since you can go to a small local one), etc.

Of course if you wanted to be really baller:

(Cirrus Jet)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?