Law School Discussion

Balancing GPA vs. Prestige (in regards to applying to law school)

I am an undergrad student at Michigan State University.  I currently have a 4.0 GPA, majoring in political science, and pending my LSAT score will be a HYS hopeful.  I have been extended an invitation to join our Honors College but I am not sure if I will be able to maintain as high of a GPA within the college.  That being said, in terms of applying to law school would it be better for me to have a higher GPA in my college within the university (open to all) or a lower one within the honors college?  I am also considering transferring into James Madison College which is supposed to have national recognition, but I am not quite sure if that is just the university talking itself up.  As a last side note if my GPA continues to remain at a high level I may consider trying to transfer to a school with significantly more prestige, perhaps an ivy.  If my GPA would be lower at a more prestigious school, would it be better for me to just remain here?  I appreciate any insight any of you may have to offer, thank you very much.

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: Balancing GPA vs. Prestige (in regards to applying to law school)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
From what I've read, the difference between James Madison and MSU would be inconsequential do adcomms.  If you are interested in transferring, the only way it would benefit you would  be to transfer to a much higher school it appears.  However, if you are interested in attending Michigan, Michigan now has a program that allows a select few of its undergrads to matriculate to law school on the basis of their GPA alone- no LSAT required.  It's worth researching if you would like to go to Michigan.... otherwise, I would stay put.

Re: Balancing GPA vs. Prestige (in regards to applying to law school)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
From what I've read, the difference between James Madison and MSU would be inconsequential do adcomms.  If you are interested in transferring, the only way it would benefit you would  be to transfer to a much higher school it appears.  However, if you are interested in attending Michigan, Michigan now has a program that allows a select few of its undergrads to matriculate to law school on the basis of their GPA alone- no LSAT required.  It's worth researching if you would like to go to Michigan.... otherwise, I would stay put.

I understand that and I like MSU too much to transfer to Michigan (I would even be somewhat pressed to go there for law school).  In response to your point about it being beneficial to transfer to a school with much higher prestige, would it be worthwhile if I were to transfer to Columbia, Duke, Yale, or another school held in similar regard?  Thanks.