Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does my B mean DAMNIT!?  (Read 5123 times)

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What does my B mean DAMNIT!?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
Well, not sure how realistic this is, but I really want to do something pertaining to federal law enforcement work (like the FBI, USSS, DEA, and what have you). Maybe even a local DA office?

I really do NOT want to be writing briefs, if I can circumvent that little gift of legal practice, I'll consider those options first.

Your thoughts?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 12:03:44 AM »
Well, not sure how realistic this is, but I really want to do something pertaining to federal law enforcement work (like the FBI, USSS, DEA, and what have you). Maybe even a local DA office?

I really do NOT want to be writing briefs, if I can circumvent that little gift of legal practice, I'll consider those options first.

Your thoughts?

Most federal jobs are pretty competitive and hire early, but there are a number of local offices (of federal agencies) that may be hiring and you should contact them to find out.  Local DAs in Jersey should definitely be doable and would give you great experience if this is the kind of work you'd like to do.  Start contacting offices ASAP!  If you are open to doing non-criminal work, you may want to look at state government civil enforcement agencies (like at the attorney general's office or public advocate) and municipal law departments.  In all of those jobs, you'll learn a lot about trials or administrative hearings, and you will not be stuck writing briefs.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 06:02:28 PM »
My serious advice is that if you don't enjoy writing about issues you're interested in, you should leave law school.  Even the most flamboyant trial lawyer will be asked to write a good motion and so on.  If you're talking about using the JD to get into law enforcement jobs, that can work but it's a whole lot of over-kill when you could just get MA Criminal Justice for the same result (bonus pay for an advanced degree).

I have seen people struggle with this and the reality is that writing, as a lawyer, is not going to go away.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 12:26:07 AM »
My serious advice is that if you don't enjoy writing about issues you're interested in, you should leave law school.  Even the most flamboyant trial lawyer will be asked to write a good motion and so on.  If you're talking about using the JD to get into law enforcement jobs, that can work but it's a whole lot of over-kill when you could just get MA Criminal Justice for the same result (bonus pay for an advanced degree).

I have seen people struggle with this and the reality is that writing, as a lawyer, is not going to go away.

I understand where you're coming from, but brief-writing and motion-writing are different beasts, especially on the state level.  OFFMason may dislike brief-writing and be fine with writing in general.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.