Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does my B mean DAMNIT!?  (Read 5156 times)

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What does my B mean DAMNIT!?
« on: January 22, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »
Hey everyone - I hope everyone is doing well.

Just got my first grade for the very first 'wonderful' semester here at law school.

I earned a grade of B in Contracts. What does this really mean? I know that every school has their own way of doing things; one grade can mean something totally different at another school. So, what does it all mean? Does this B mean that I am part of the riff-raff at my institution?

Link to our curve scheme:
http://law.shu.edu/administration/registrar_bursar/examinations_and_grading/grading_curves.htm

I feel like crap, particularly at the prospects that this B is really a C or a C- perhaps.

Thanks!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What does my B mean DAMNIT!?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:02:07 AM »
Hi OFFMason.  I hope you're doing well. :)

All you can really tell from the explanation of the curve is that you are somewhere in the middle 40% (below the top 30% and above the bottom 30%) in contracts.  Most first year professors are kind enough to max out the curve, so it is more likely that you are somewhere below the top 40% -- between 30% and 60%. Either way, I wouldn't let this one grade get you down too much.  Your test performance was solidly in the middle of the class.  If you really thought you aced contracts, it's probably worth going to the professor to find out how you can improve next semester.  Otherwise, just wait for your other grades and then make an assessment.  Good luck!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »
Hi OFFMason.  I hope you're doing well. :)

All you can really tell from the explanation of the curve is that you are somewhere in the middle 40% (below the top 30% and above the bottom 30%) in contracts.  Most first year professors are kind enough to max out the curve, so it is more likely that you are somewhere below the top 40% -- between 30% and 60%. Either way, I wouldn't let this one grade get you down too much.  Your test performance was solidly in the middle of the class.  If you really thought you aced contracts, it's probably worth going to the professor to find out how you can improve next semester.  Otherwise, just wait for your other grades and then make an assessment.  Good luck!

TITCR.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:15:02 AM »
Yeah, that is what I surmised -- seems like there is a lot of room for these professors to grade as they please.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:59:01 AM »
Yeah, that is what I surmised -- seems like there is a lot of room for these professors to grade as they please.

Your professors do have a little more discretion than they would at some other schools.  While that's frustrating right now, it's probably ultimately a good thing in that they can adjust the curve to fit the quality of the exams.  (At some curves the curve is so tight that exams separated by only a few points on a numerical scale end up with grades two steps apart.)

Nonetheless, getting a B on a curve like that doesn't tell you much about how you are performing relative to the rest of the class -- both because it's smack in the middle and because up to 40% of the class can get the same grade.  You may very well have beaten the median, and you may be in the bottom third, and it's impossible to say unless you have the opportunity to go over your exam. 

I followed your tough cycle last year, and I am pulling for you, OFFMason.  Good luck with everything. :) 

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
Hey Miss P, I got an A- in civil procedure. I thought that was my worst subject, but it worked out for the best.

So where does this put me; within like top 50%?

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »
Relax.  You're around the 50% mark with the B.

You're in the top third to top fourth with your A-.  So far it looks like you're doing pretty strong.  Keep in mind that some people who get A- and A's will get B- or C grades, so people who consistently score in the top half to top quarter will most likely "over perform" in the aggregate.
_______
.|E|R|S.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »
Thanks. I guess my 152 doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to be a janitor or something of that ilk.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:20:28 AM »
Hey Miss P, I got an A- in civil procedure. I thought that was my worst subject, but it worked out for the best.

So where does this put me; within like top 50%?

It's really impossible to say without knowing the number of credits and the distribution of the grades (like tetris said, some people with A- will get all A-, some will get Cs), but you definitely performed above the curve in civpro, which is great.  The NALP directory says that the median GPA at Seton Hall is a 3.06.  If that's true for first years -- and usually first-year grades are lower than upper-class grades since upper-class students take seminars and other classes that are off-curve or have more relaxed curves -- then you are definitely well above the median with your B and A- (assuming you don't have any lower grades that pull you down).  If these are your only two grades and they're weighed equally, you are in quite good shape.  NALP lists top 25% as 3.31. :)

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:36 AM »
Thanks a lot Miss P.