Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer job opportunities for T2 with average grades?  (Read 1657 times)

wcombs65

• View Profile
Summer job opportunities for T2 with average grades?
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:25:15 PM »
I haven't received my grades from the fall yet, and I really have no idea what to expect. I am preparing myself mentally for bad to decent grades. That way I can handle it and will be very happy with good grades. What are the job opportunities like? I'm preparing the necessary documents and will be on top of applications. Any help or past experience would be great. Thanks.

Oklahoma 1L

OK Law

• View Profile
Re: Summer job opportunities for T2 with average grades?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »
My only advice is to be as proactive as possible. It sounds like you are already preparing yourself for the big employment push this semester, but 1L jobs are not always easy to land. I know from my own personal experience that the only reason I landed a job my first summer was because I networked as much as a could. Basically, I just started contacting lawyers in the city that I attend law school that had graduated from my undergrad college and tried to set up times to meet for lunch or coffee to talk about their experiences in law school and ask for any advice. Not a single attorney turned me down!! They all were more than happy to help me out after I assured them during the course of the conversation that I wasn't a tool. Ultimately, I just tried to finagle some sort of help in landing a job. It took a while, but eventually one of them knew another attorney that worked for a firm that I knew was hiring for the summer. I had lunch with that attorney under the same guise of trying to "get advice" and basically got an interview out of the deal. Anyway, my point is that 1L jobs are not always easy to procure, especially if you are (1) not at the top of your class after first semester 1L year (which I was not) and (2) don't go to one of the top ranked law schools in the country (which I don't). 

Good Luck and if you put forth the effort, you will get a job and it will probably be something that you are pretty excited about.