Law School Discussion

Summer job opportunities for T2 with average grades?

Summer job opportunities for T2 with average grades?
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »
I haven't received my grades from the fall yet, and I really have no idea what to expect. I am preparing myself mentally for bad to decent grades. That way I can handle it and will be very happy with good grades. What are the job opportunities like? I'm preparing the necessary documents and will be on top of applications. Any help or past experience would be great. Thanks.

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Summer job opportunities for T2 with average grades?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 07:07:21 AM »
What are the job opportunities like?

For unpaid 1L summer work, you should be fine.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:21:06 AM »
The important question is: what do you want to do?

Speaking from experience, it is possible to get a 1L summer internship (yes, even paid) with bad grades.  Check the job postings carefully- some employers won't even ask for your transcript, just resume and writing sample.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:55:14 PM »
I don't want to do biglaw. I really want to do government work or public service. The job I really want is a summer internship in the state AG office.

M_Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »
Like a poster above said, 1L unpaid summer work is pretty easy to find regardless of grades.  Most schools even have externship programs during the summer if you are really desperate and don't mind paying to work. 

There are some paid internships (like AG's office - at least in my state) that are much easier to get than a 1L SA position if you would like some compensation.