Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm New! Non Traditional Student 51!  (Read 1820 times)

rbalarcon

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm New! Non Traditional Student 51!
« on: January 21, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »
I have a question that some of you maybe able to help me with.  I want to know if there is a list or suggested list of Law Schools that prefer or look favorably at non traditional student as myself with 25 plus years in the international arena and has decided to return to graduate school and become a lawyer?  Does anyone know of a site?

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm New! Non Traditional Student 51!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:17:30 PM »
Northwestern has a reputation for valuing work experience, but naturally you would still need to have a pretty good LSAT/GPA

th0409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:58:25 AM »
Northwestern is known for requiring work experience. But their idea of work experience is 1-2 years of post-graduate work experience. I assure you the average age of the entering student is still in the low-mid 20's. That being said, you will proabably find a lot more students there but there won't be a room full of career-changers.

Princeton Review typically ranks law schools in all sorts of areas. These are the schools they say are most welcoming of older students. They base this on the average age of students, and how long most of them have been out of college.

City University of New York-Queens(NY)
University of Hawaii-Manoa(HI)
Lewis and Clark (OR)
Univ. of San Fransisco (CA)
Univ. of Arizona
Northwestern (IL)
University of Maine
Seattle University
University of New Mexico
University of DC

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »
There was a guy in his 50's who graduated from Vandy a few years ago. Every school wants at least a few older people in their classes, because they can discuss things in a historical context that other students cannot. Plus, they tend to be very efficient and mature in their approach to things.

I love studying with older students. Even during undergrad, I gravitated towards them for group assignments and they always delivered.

SW-likesLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:33:12 AM »
Hi everyone

I am "a bit over 40" enrolled at Novus University “Novus Law School” which is a non accredited online Law school.

I have a full time job oversees and really want to study law or I better say I like to study towards my JD degree……

Novus is some sort of inexpensive, monthly small $ amount, no classroom attendance and most important in my case I can study on my own speed level.

First I thought, well, that’s with limitation, however, you as each individual has to make the decision, but as I mentioned I am totally satisfied and who knows about changes “ABA” in the future.

By the way, I sometimes think it would be great being in a study group to solve issues and whatsoever could help….. Any suggestions or study groups who would adopt an online Law student?

Greetings from Munich Germany,