Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle University  (Read 5084 times)

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Seattle University
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
Anyone else interested in going here? I got accepted yesterday and am pretty excited...

london2nyc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seattle University
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
I got in yesterday as well.  I love Seattle so it is one of my top choices!

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:16 PM »
This is my dream school...I'm hoping to get in!!!!!!!

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »

Have you received anything in the mail yet? I just noted my acceptance via the status checker online...

london2nyc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »

Have you received anything in the mail yet? I just noted my acceptance via the status checker online...

No I haven't gotten anything in the mail, found out on the status checker as well.  I found out Tuesday and I am only in Spokane so I thought if they had mailed something it would have been here already.  Maybe next week

Dionysus0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 05:58:26 PM »
Congrats on the acceptance, Seattlegirl, at Seattle U. I have been obsessively checking out my status checker and the decision is still pending. I do not know where I would go if I got accepted U of Oregon, Lewis and Clark, or Seattle U. I suppose I would have to tour the area to see which one I like best.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:38:31 AM »
Congrats on the acceptance, Seattlegirl, at Seattle U. I have been obsessively checking out my status checker and the decision is still pending. I do not know where I would go if I got accepted U of Oregon, Lewis and Clark, or Seattle U. I suppose I would have to tour the area to see which one I like best.

Thank you very much. I am from Oregon and moved to Seattle about two years ago. Out of the three I much prefer Seattle U, however, I applied to all three as well. Good luck :)

win200

• "What do you mean, you people?"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:21:58 AM »
As a native Seattlite who has applied to Seattle U and Lewis & Clark, my advice would definitely be to go for Seattle U. If you know you're going to practice in the Seattle market, you really can't do better than SU. Everyone in the city knows the program and thinks the world of it (especially the legal writing program), and it's the poorly kept secret that much of Seattle's legal community thinks the program at SU is superior to the one at UW, despite the rankings disparity. Plus, SU has a huge alumni network in the city (about 80% of their grads stay in Seattle), and with only two law schools it's a much less crowded job market than Boston, D.C., New York, San Francisco. I personally like Lewis & Clark better (I loooove their law school building), but I'll probably go to Seattle U. If you do well there you'll have great job prospects in Washington state.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »
As a native Seattlite who has applied to Seattle U and Lewis & Clark, my advice would definitely be to go for Seattle U. If you know you're going to practice in the Seattle market, you really can't do better than SU. Everyone in the city knows the program and thinks the world of it (especially the legal writing program), and it's the poorly kept secret that much of Seattle's legal community thinks the program at SU is superior to the one at UW, despite the rankings disparity. Plus, SU has a huge alumni network in the city (about 80% of their grads stay in Seattle), and with only two law schools it's a much less crowded job market than Boston, D.C., New York, San Francisco. I personally like Lewis & Clark better (I loooove their law school building), but I'll probably go to Seattle U. If you do well there you'll have great job prospects in Washington state.

You are "spot-on" about SU being perceivably better than UW. UW's reputation is very poor in tewrms of the administration being "cold". People say the teachers are bland and not accessible. The facilities are top-notch, and their programs are very good, but could be better, especially given the resources the school has. Also...not very diverse: white, Asian (Chinese, Japanese, mostly). Few or no programs (that really matter) for Blacks and Hispanics, except for BLSA/HLSA.

1) SU should be ranked about top50-65. I have seen Chicago-Kent, Tulane and Pepperdine, and SU is just as good
2) A surprize about SU is it's top-15 (or so) Entertainment Law program.
3) SU's facilities are absolutely fantastic
4) SU's administration is great, especially Bernadette Henderson and others in admissions
5) Seattle Magazine listed many SU Law alums as "top" lawyers in Seattle...many of who had been recognized nationally.

The drawback is SU's shaky (if not dismal) employment record: a $67k median private sector salary and 66% graduation-employment rate should not inspire too much enthusiasm. And the 98% 6-month employemnt rate is probably fudged by including grads employed in non law-related employment (Amazon non legal, baristas, SU administration, TA's, sales at Nordstrom, etc).

The school is also very expensive (thougfh less so than many other private schools), yet stingy with the scholarships for all except the very best UW rejects

http://www.top-law-schools.com/university-seattle-law.html

Dionysus0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:35 AM »
How well would a J.D. from Seattle U transfer over to Portland the same with Lewis and Clark and Oregon transferring over to Seattle.? I am unsure of which cities I would choose to live in at this point.