Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT we discuss how to put together a good resume  (Read 1169 times)

The Thread Starter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
ITT we discuss how to put together a good resume
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:38:55 AM »
To start us off, stuff stolen from the Chicago thread:

For those 1Ls deciding whether to include an "interests" section, a weird anecdote....my first 20 or so OCI interviewers, no one mentioned my lack of an interests section.  My second to last interview, the interviewer complimented me on not having one, and then ranted for like 5 mins about how stupid and unprofessional interests sections are.  Right after that, in my last interview, the interviewer berated me for half the interview because I didn't have an interests section.

I think the take-away lesson might also be to avoid lame interest sections, if you include one.  When I was a recruiter, my eyes would glaze over each time I saw "traveling" as an interest.  Yeah, real original.  You like to travel!

I used to be a philosophy major, and put metaphysics down as an interest...got asked about it at least once per callback this year, and at pretty much all my interviews as a 1L (of course, the downside was they wanted me to TALK about it...one callback interviewer grilled me on paradoxes for 30 minutes AND I didn't get an offer...jerk).  Let's not talk about the interest once people find out a hobby is collecting Japanese swords... ;)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: ITT we discuss how to put together a good resume
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:02:13 AM »
If all of your interests are extremely generic, like reading, cooking, etc., I wouldn't bother.  If your interests aren't interesting, if they aren't easy to talk about because they're too general, dull, etc., it won't serve any good.

But if you have an interest that you know sparks interest and gets people talking, put it on there.  Obviously be prepared to talk about the interest intelligently (although like the quote above suggests, if it's ultra-intellectual or an interest likely to require some heavy-hitting discussion, you may want to leave it off).

One thing you may want to include is if you have any pets, especially dogs.  Most everyone in my firm that owns a dog will gladly talk about their dog as if it were their kid.  So if you own a dog, I'd try to work that into an interest section, if you choose to have one.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »
I think my interests were like "Visiting historical sites, exploring antique shops, and cheering on the Florida Gators."

I got asked in my firm interview what historical sites I've seen. *shrug*

I've hear some lawschool Career Services don't tell their students to put in references. Is that the norm?
Vandy 1L... really?

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
I'd put down generic interests only if it's something people at the firm may invite you to do.

I said I liked barbecue, and I got a lot of lunchtime invitations from senior partners/named partners over the summer.  So even generic things like local breweries, wine, golf, pick-up basketball, tennis, fishing, etc. I would probably put down. Traveling is fun, but nobody is going to invite you on their vacations. Everything else needs to be something that makes you unique. Also, you can make this section take up no more than a line or two. That's a good balance between the love it/hate it on the interests section.

NYC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
Whatever you put, just make sure you have something to say. Like if you put "enjoy rock climbing" expect a question or two on where you've climbed.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »
I personally wouldn't put in the travel. (As a side, I also wouldn't put in the ABA thing either.  I'm glad someone does the ABA stuff, but I certainly don't think it's worth mentioning in a job interview.)

Also, those things should not take up full individual lines; it indicates that you either lack discretion or lack something that makes you a better candidate.

I have an Activities heading, under which I have one-liners for the following: two nonprofit/state gov't board memberships, a political campaign I ran, and then the line:
"Interests include contemporary art, playing the mandolin, barbecue, bluegrass, and [law school sports group]."

Also, one career services person telling you that it should not be on there is still an OK indication that it should not be on there.  If 1 out of 4 employers thinks that's a waste of space, it's not worth having on there.  Will it be absolutely awful? No. But it will make me think that you're boring and you had nothing better to put on there than that line, so what you see is what you get. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »
Why is competitive target shooting non-PC?

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »
Why is competitive target shooting non-PC?

Because hippies are everywhere.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
Plenty of hippies have no problem with competitive target shooting and it also qualifies as something a senior partner may invite you to do.  It goes on the list. 

Tobacco appraising spawns conversation; thus, it also goes on the list.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:36:53 PM »
Plenty of hippies have no problem with competitive target shooting and it also qualifies as something a senior partner may invite you to do.  It goes on the list. 

Tobacco appraising spawns conversation; thus, it also goes on the list.

Sweet.