Law School Discussion

NYU 1L taking questions

NYU 1L taking questions
« on: January 20, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »
Hello everyone. 

I never posted before but used this site extensively when deciding where to go and thought I should share any wisdom I've picked up during my applications and first semester. 

Any questions y'all have about the application process or of the new york city area law schools i'd be happy to answer.  While I attend NYU, I also considered UPenn, Fordham, BC, and a full ride at Rutgers-Newark.  You can reply to this thread for general questions or pm me if you want any advice on which law schools to pick.

Re: NYU 1L taking questions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
how cutthroat are your classmates?

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »
I know that you've probably all heard horror stories about cutthroat classmates, but I don't think at NYU it's so prevalent.  There are definitely some people that are, but once you make some good friends, you'll be alright.  I haven't experienced anyone being a total ass.  At least not yet.   

I have however heard from friends in other law schools of people ripping out pages and such during legal writing classes, but once again, I haven't experienced any of that.  Usually if an incident like that were to happen, I'm sure your professor would understand.  Professors are people too.

It looks like you have some great options to choose from logickills.  I wish you all the best. 

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
I know that you've probably all heard horror stories about cutthroat classmates, but I don't think at NYU it's so prevalent. 

I just wanted to echo this.  I've never had a problem asking people for their notes if I miss class, help on hypos, questions about specific material, etc.  People aren't just civil, they're actively helpful.  This may sound a little "We are the World" but I haven't met an exception to this statement.  I'm sure they exist at NYU, I have no doubt, I just haven't met one.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:44 PM »
Why NYU, for you? What were your other top choices?

NYU really touts its public interest commitment -- do you have any experience with the school putting that into practice?

Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
What's your favorite thing about NYU?

What's your least favorite thing about NYU?

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »
Like I said in my first post, my other options (that I was actually considering) were UPenn, Fordham, BC, and a full ride at Rutgers-Newark.  I chose NYU to be the school for me because of several reasons.  The first is that I am in love with the city; I've dreamt of living in the city since I was 6.  You'll come to realize that one of the most important things about deciding what school to go to is location.  Even if a school is ranked much lower than another but the lower ranked school is in the vicinity of the place you would like to practice, I would highly recommend you to consider that school.  Especially where ($$$) is concerned.  Another reason why I came to NYU is that it keeps a lot of doors open for you in case your desires in the field of law change.  NYU is highly respected in the city and their public interest programs are one of the best. There are a lot of other personal reasons but those are the main reasons. 

I know that as 0L's you'll all be heavily tempted by USNEWS reports rankings (as I was) but I want to assure you that once you get into law school and meet employers you'll realize that specific rankings don't matter much.  I've had interviews at big/midlaw/PI firms where I've competed against students from lower ranked NYC-area schools (St. Johns, Rutgers-N, even one guy from NYLS). 

One disclaimer to that statement is that I have an interest in either public service of public interest fields.  For a long time during my applications process I seriously considered Rutgers-Newark since they have an excellent public service/interest program and it was free for me to attend.  Looking at the debt I'm racking up at an alarming rate (living expenses in NYC is OMFG), sometimes I regret not going to Rutgers-Newark even though it is ranked much lower.  For those of you considering lower ranked schools for cheap I urge you to at least give it a little more consideration.  Now I'm not saying turn in a T1 acceptance for a free T3/4, I'm saying that as long as it isn't too much a drop, it might not be a bad idea to consider it.

My favourite thing about NYU is the city.  NYC is really one of a kind.  However NYC is NOT for everyone.  You have to really like the urban scene and not mind 24/7 noise.  My least favourite thing about NYU is the fact that there really is no campus.  The university is very integrated into the city and so there is no real campus feel to it.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
Going on your last statement of considering scholarship money versus going to a city you loved would you pay 30k (over three years) more to go to a school in NY comparably ranked to a school in Chicago?

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »
Why NYU, for you? What were your other top choices?

NYU really touts its public interest commitment -- do you have any experience with the school putting that into practice?

Thanks!

I thought I'd try to give the 2L perspective on the questions as well.  And also, my answers are almost polar opposites to the original poster.

I chose NYU for the US News ranking and the challenging environment.  For me, it was mainly between Columbia, NYU, and possibly Georgetown (interest in living in Washington D.C.).  I decided on NYU because I grew up in a conservative, small town suburb and wanted a radically different social experience.  I thought that NYU, moreso than Columbia, could provide me with that experience.  I did not visit either school.  I had only been to NYC once before my first day of classes.  I'm not explaining this to encourage the same method of decision making, but I love where I chose, and sometimes you just have to jump in and then decide you'll enjoy where you picked.

I'm not sure what type of public interest you're thinking about, specifically.  Last summer a large portion of our 1L class had public interest jobs.  I worked in government in D.C.  During the year, there are public interest related events.  Usually, you meet with someone from the public interest career center who will look over your resume and advise you.  For government, it appeared the office was less organized with available opportunities, but I was given a list of relevant alumni to contact.  Through that, I received information on where to apply.  But there is also a PILC fair that allows you to interview for multiple public interest groups.  There's more info about these things here: http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestlawcenter/pilcevents/index.htm
Generally, it was a very well organized process, and students did not have trouble getting their top choices in public interest areas.  One of the outstanding virtues of NYU is its wide breadth of alumni willing to contact and help you with public interest jobs.  Knowing and speaking with these people substantially aided my job search.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
This summer I'm working for a NYC law firm.  Many of the government jobs I'm interested in require experience before, and a lot of people get that at a law firm.  Plus, I wasn't as fond of government work as I thought I would be, so I'm trying to get some new job experiences.