Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago Kent (free) v. University of Illinois ($)  (Read 2879 times)

SamE397

Re: Chicago Kent (free) v. University of Illinois ($)
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »
True, some college towns aren't that bad.  Chicago is still probably easier to adjust to than New York and Los Angeles.
It probably is.
I guess what kind of area you want to be in just comes down to personal preference though. If you're a manhattanite odds are you'd be miserable in champaign. If you've lived your whole life in for example Cheyenne you'd probably not mind a small city like champaign. 

I worked a summer in the sequoias and even in central california people who live in the mountain areas think that Fresno, is overly crowded and has too much traffic. As someone from the detroit area I thought their descriptions of Fresno were laughable but none the less it was a powerful example of how people adjust to their environment.   

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »
Yeh but who would want to live in Chambana as anything other than an undergrad
I've heard more than a few people dis on small midwest college towns(I.E Bloomington, South Bend, and Champaign) and I understand that not everyone would want to live there. As someone though who's been a surbanite their whole life though, I'd much rather be in a small town than say New York, Chicago, or L.A; I imagine being a 1-l is tough enough without having to adjust to an urban environment.

I can't believe you lumped Bloomington in with South Bend and Champaign. I've been to all three and Bloomington is far and away the best, while South Bend is far and away the worst.

TTom

Full disclosure: I applied to and got rejected by U of I, IU-B, and ND!

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:56 PM »
Yeh but who would want to live in Chambana as anything other than an undergrad

I was worried about that before moving here (mind you i'm from CT and CO, two places i'd call much cooler than IL), and as things turned out it didn't matter.  You really don't have time to care much about what there is to do in your particular town while you're in law school.  All I care is that my rent is cheap, that there is some amount of nature outside, and that there are bars to go to on friday night.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 06:29:10 PM »
Don't go to law school.  It's really stressful.  People form study groups and exclude you for some reason, and, during exams, there's a lot of work and you sometimes miss obvious issues on practice exams. 

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »
Don't go to law school.  It's really stressful.  People form study groups and exclude you for some reason, and, during exams, there's a lot of work and you sometimes miss obvious issues on practice exams. 

i hope this is sarcasm....otherwise i fear for your mental stability next quarter.

OP, i would say illinois. with in-state tuition, you wouldn't be paying much more than kent and the prospects seem significantly better for jobs in chicago.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »

i hope this is sarcasm....otherwise i fear for your mental stability next quarter.
OP, i would say illinois. with in-state tuition, you wouldn't be paying much more than kent and the prospects seem significantly better for jobs in chicago.

I do, too, actually.

u2007

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 09:09:11 AM »
I, too, fear for your stability.

Anyway, as far as job prospects, notice that the OP didn't say job prospects were similar between the two schools but rather that job prospects were similar provided you do fairly well at Kent.