Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago Kent (free) v. University of Illinois ($)  (Read 2821 times)

prospectivestudent22

• View Profile
Chicago Kent (free) v. University of Illinois ($)
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
I need some advice - should I go to Chicago-Kent next year with a full scholarship (w/ no restrictions) or Univ. of Illinois w/ no scholarship?  I don't know yet if I want to do biglaw, but I definitely want to practice in Chicago.

Thanks!

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago Kent (free) v. University of Illinois ($)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »
What other than BigLaw are you hoping to do in Chicago?  If you're thinking about public interest work or government jobs, there's probably little difference between the Kent placement and the UofI placement.  However, if you might be after something more competitive, it might be worthwhile to invest in UofI. 

Ultimately, I think that the difference is going to come down to the kind of people you want to be around in law school.  I would guess that the UofI student body is going to be younger and probably more career-driven, whereas Kent is going to attract commuter students and people returning to school after a longer break.
Columbia 2011

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:03:53 PM »
Do you have in-state tuition in IL? That would make a large difference in how much I'd weigh UIUC v. Kent.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

prospectivestudent22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »
Hi --

I will be receiving in state tuition at Illinois.  I am undecided about what type of law I want to go into though.  I have heard that job prospects in Chicago are fairly similar for U of I grads and Chicago-Kent grads (provided that you do fairly well at Kent).  Any additional insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
If you can keep debt to an absolute minimum at Kent (live at home, don't go out, that sort of thing) and walk out $0 in the hole then it might be worth it. Also, are there any conditions on the scholarship regarding GPA or class ranking?

Something to keep in mind; you might not want Biglaw! at the moment but plans change, at least at UIUC there's a pretty decent chance of landing it (at least there was before the recession, I don't know how it looks now)
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
With in-state tuition, I'd vote decidedly for U of I.  In Chicago, firms (and maybe other employers too) will go further into U of I's class than they would at Kent.  My understanding from OCI was that the chain of command in Chicago looked something like this (not including HLS and other T14 schools which do not predominantly target Chicago):

Chicago > NW/Michigan >> Illinois > Other solid midwestern schools (Minn, ND, Wisconsin, Indiana-Bloomington, WUSTL, etc.) > Kent/Loyola/Depaul >>> NIU/JMLS.

Others may have different opinions, but this was the feel I got.  Even if you don't want to do firm work, my guess is that U of I will go further in a lot of areas.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 06:28:27 PM »
With in-state tuition, I'd vote decidedly for U of I.  In Chicago, firms (and maybe other employers too) will go further into U of I's class than they would at Kent.  My understanding from OCI was that the chain of command in Chicago looked something like this (not including HLS and other T14 schools which do not predominantly target Chicago):

Chicago > NW/Michigan >> Illinois > Other solid midwestern schools (Minn, ND, Wisconsin, Indiana-Bloomington, WUSTL, etc.) > Kent/Loyola/Depaul >>> NIU/JMLS.

Others may have different opinions, but this was the feel I got.  Even if you don't want to do firm work, my guess is that U of I will go further in a lot of areas.

I completely agree.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

JamieB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »
After really getting to know how the legal field is like, i have to say that this is a no-brainer.  U of Illinois Urbana.  The amount you invest now will reap its rewards.

prospectivestudent22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »
What other than BigLaw are you hoping to do in Chicago?  If you're thinking about public interest work or government jobs, there's probably little difference between the Kent placement and the UofI placement.  However, if you might be after something more competitive, it might be worthwhile to invest in UofI. 

Ultimately, I think that the difference is going to come down to the kind of people you want to be around in law school.  I would guess that the UofI student body is going to be younger and probably more career-driven, whereas Kent is going to attract commuter students and people returning to school after a longer break.

Aporia - how valuable is your secret identity to you??

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »

Aporia - how valuable is your secret identity to you??

Feel free to send me a PM if you want some more info on choosing between Chicago schools.  I was in a similar place last year, so I would be happy to offer advice.
Columbia 2011