Law School Discussion

Anxiety in Law School

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Anxiety in Law School
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 07:17:05 AM »
I have the same problem.  There's much material for Torts and Property, and my bad Elements grade has given me a whole new ballpark of anxiety over whether I'm getting it (though I hope that CivPro is more representative of my ability to take LS exams).

As I see it, you should be more stressed.  The material has ramped up.  Your classmates "get" it more.  Grades are as crucial as ever.

But if you want to control it, I suggest trying to go out to a weekly dinner and exercise.

Seriously Wally, whatís your blood pressure? All this work and stress your doing to be the best at everything is not going to matter anyway if you die of a massive stress related heart attack at 28. Do yourself a favor and find some outlet for your stress or by the time the bar comes around youíre going to be a walking stroke waiting to happen. Law school nor anything you can get from it, is not worth wrecking your health or dieing over, thatís what we have cigarettes for.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
Find a hobby that you can do outside of law school and not with your classmates. Lawyers and judges are OK, but with your classmates you will always have that anxiety because the conversation will always turn back to school at some point. Golf, tennis, flag football, plays, biking, opera, whatever. Join your local bar association, get their newsletter, you will see tons of groups out there, and they will welcome students.

I go with one group of lawyers and judges to a play or opera once a month. Another group I go skiing with once a week. They donít really want to talk about your classes, but they are great sources of info on what its like to practice law. We have a good time, I forget about school (and the bar for me) for a few hours and its fantastic networking/mentoring.

oh crap, the BAR!  did you find out when apps are due?

yea, they were due yesterday YOU DID NOT TURN YOURS IN????????*

*actually I think the first day you can turn them in is Feb 8th, not sure when the final day is though

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 07:23:25 AM »
Find a hobby that you can do outside of law school and not with your classmates. Lawyers and judges are OK, but with your classmates you will always have that anxiety because the conversation will always turn back to school at some point. Golf, tennis, flag football, plays, biking, opera, whatever. Join your local bar association, get their newsletter, you will see tons of groups out there, and they will welcome students.

I go with one group of lawyers and judges to a play or opera once a month. Another group I go skiing with once a week. They donít really want to talk about your classes, but they are great sources of info on what its like to practice law. We have a good time, I forget about school (and the bar for me) for a few hours and its fantastic networking/mentoring.

*actually I think the first day you can turn them in is Feb 8th, not sure when the final day is though

thanks for the stroke.  now youll have to wheel me around forever and laugh at jokes for me.

they are due the 30th here.  craziness. 

eta: i dont WANT to take the bar

eta2:  wish i would hear something from denver

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 07:25:03 AM »

thanks for the stroke.  now youll have to wheel me around forever and laugh at jokes for me.

eta3: send me your damn info so I can talk to my buddy the dean about your freaking app

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »

eta3: send me your damn info so I can talk to my buddy the dean about your freaking app

oops.

will do right now.