Law School Discussion

Anxiety in Law School

Anxiety in Law School
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

Have you guys found any good strategies for controlling your anxiety while in law school?  Throughout last semester, even during exams, I felt more or less fine.  But, for some strange reason I'm feeling much more anxious now - which is somewhat ironic since its only the beginning of the semester.  I think the increased demands of my classes, plus the cold calling in all my classes, are the main culprits.  Also, for some odd reason I'm one of very few students who use our law library (so it gets sort of lonely).  Any suggestions for what I should do?  Any feedback would be much appreciated 

Re: Anxiety in Law School
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:49:58 PM »
This is what I do:

1) Exercise, exercise, exercise!  This definitely works for me, and relieves my tension.

2) Remind yourself that you have no reason to panic.  You're at the law library working hard already. 
Keep doing this and you'll be fine.

3) I know that this doesn't work for others, but I actually enjoy talking to others about classes/exams/law
school in general.  It reminds me that others, even those who "get it," are anxious.  It's human nature.

I hope this helps, at least a little. 

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »
Meds?

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »
Some things that might help:

cold calling in all my classes

Nothing you say in class will likely have an impact on your final grade as long as you have done the reading and make an effort. Don't sweat class participation.

Also, for some odd reason I'm one of very few students who use our law library (so it gets sort of lonely).

Get the hell out of the library and find a different place to study. I found the same thing happened to myself during finals week at the library, so I went home, turned on some music and studied at home on my kitchen table. Problem fixed. 

nerfco

• U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
As said above, don't worry about cold calling. It doesn't matter how well you do in class, as far as grades are concerned. Just keep up enough that you have some idea what is going on, and answer the questions as best you can. Nobody else will remember what you said anyhow.

Unsure why you feel more anxious at the beginning of a semester. I always feel pretty relaxed at the start of a quarter, and don't begin to feel even a bit anxious until I realize I need to begin to study for finals. What's the deal with this?

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
i drink.  profusely.

as do most of my classmates.

ymmv.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:48:07 PM »
fornicate

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 03:43:51 AM »
I have the same problem.  There's much material for Torts and Property, and my bad Elements grade has given me a whole new ballpark of anxiety over whether I'm getting it (though I hope that CivPro is more representative of my ability to take LS exams).

As I see it, you should be more stressed.  The material has ramped up.  Your classmates "get" it more.  Grades are as crucial as ever.

But if you want to control it, I suggest trying to go out to a weekly dinner and exercise.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 07:11:29 AM »
Find a hobby that you can do outside of law school and not with your classmates. Lawyers and judges are OK, but with your classmates you will always have that anxiety because the conversation will always turn back to school at some point. Golf, tennis, flag football, plays, biking, opera, whatever. Join your local bar association, get their newsletter, you will see tons of groups out there, and they will welcome students.

I go with one group of lawyers and judges to a play or opera once a month. Another group I go skiing with once a week. They donít really want to talk about your classes, but they are great sources of info on what its like to practice law. We have a good time, I forget about school (and the bar for me) for a few hours and its fantastic networking/mentoring.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:16:30 AM »
Find a hobby that you can do outside of law school and not with your classmates. Lawyers and judges are OK, but with your classmates you will always have that anxiety because the conversation will always turn back to school at some point. Golf, tennis, flag football, plays, biking, opera, whatever. Join your local bar association, get their newsletter, you will see tons of groups out there, and they will welcome students.

I go with one group of lawyers and judges to a play or opera once a month. Another group I go skiing with once a week. They donít really want to talk about your classes, but they are great sources of info on what its like to practice law. We have a good time, I forget about school (and the bar for me) for a few hours and its fantastic networking/mentoring.

oh crap, the BAR!  did you find out when apps are due?