Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do Non Profit Lawyers make?  (Read 1872 times)

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
What do Non Profit Lawyers make?
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »
After several years of experience?  I know you won't start off too high (I hear like $35-$45K) but what about as you advance?

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: What do Non Profit Lawyers make?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:23:10 PM »
Add a couple of zeros behind the starting wage you posted.
_______
.|E|R|S.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
It really varies, depending on where you work and the type of job you have.  However, your range is a good rough approximation. 

Do keep in mind that the Fed. is changing their repayment plans particularly to help those in public service effective July 2009.  A good overview of it is located here:

http://www.finaid.org/loans/ibr.phtml

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »
The old joke is that firm attorneys make a big salary, whereas non-profit attorneys make a big difference.
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
It really varies, depending on where you work and the type of job you have.  However, your range is a good rough approximation. 

Do keep in mind that the Fed. is changing their repayment plans particularly to help those in public service effective July 2009.  A good overview of it is located here:

http://www.finaid.org/loans/ibr.phtml

What about after say, 5 years of practice?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »
Again, it's hard to say, based on funding and other considerations. 

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
After several years of experience?  I know you won't start off too high (I hear like $35-$45K) but what about as you advance?

It depends on the nonprofit you're working for. There's a good chance that your salary won't increase at all.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 01:53:26 AM »

It depends on the nonprofit you're working for. There's a good chance that your salary won't increase at all.

This is really not true in most places.  Most non-profits have step increases of about 7-10% per year, usually capped somewhere in the high $80s.  Some major national non-profits are keyed to the DOJ pay scale, which is considerably higher.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »

This is really not true in most places.  Most non-profits have step increases of about 7-10% per year, usually capped somewhere in the high $80s.  Some major national non-profits are keyed to the DOJ pay scale, which is considerably higher.

The majority of nonprofit law positions in this country do not give a 7-10% increase per year. That's insane. While high profile nonprofit law positions might, the overwhelming majority of nonprofit law positions in this country (to take just one example, working for a domestic violence shelter) do not. Most nonprofits scrape by on tiny budgets provided by grants that need to be renewed yearly. Within these nonprofits there is almost zero room for advancement, as there may only be one legal position.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »

The majority of nonprofit law positions in this country do not give a 7-10% increase per year. That's insane. While high profile nonprofit law positions might, the overwhelming majority of nonprofit law positions in this country (to take just one example, working for a domestic violence shelter) do not. Most nonprofits scrape by on tiny budgets provided by grants that need to be renewed yearly. Within these nonprofits there is almost zero room for advancement, as there may only be one legal position.

Oh, I'm sorry.  I thought that we were discussing legal non-profits (like legal services organizations), which do, indeed, have typical increases in this range.  Of course, this is not true at all organizations, but, in general, staff attorneys protect their salary increases in times of cuts.  For perspective, this is starting at like $45,000, moving up to $48,500, then up to $51,750, etc.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.