Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell Class of 2012  (Read 4507 times)

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Cornell Class of 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »
Cornell 0L  ;D

Oh hey, for the 1Ls, how hard is it to find housing and how soon should I be looking???
Thanks
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

Aluhks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »
I visited Ithaca in May for one weekend and was able to find an excellent apartment easily. I would suggest starting the search soon, and if possible, coming to look in person. The actual quality of apartments here can vary wildly even within the same neighborhood.

I also suggest avoiding Collegetown. Collegetown may be close to Cornell, but the rents are way higher than they ought to be and the apartments are not nearly as nice as other places. Plus Ithaca is small enough that the difference in commuting time to get to school is negligible.

Cornell's listings of graduate housing (there's a link buried somewhere on Cornell Law's website) are pretty comprehensive.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
I visited Ithaca in May for one weekend and was able to find an excellent apartment easily. I would suggest starting the search soon, and if possible, coming to look in person. The actual quality of apartments here can vary wildly even within the same neighborhood.

I also suggest avoiding Collegetown. Collegetown may be close to Cornell, but the rents are way higher than they ought to be and the apartments are not nearly as nice as other places. Plus Ithaca is small enough that the difference in commuting time to get to school is negligible.

Cornell's listings of graduate housing (there's a link buried somewhere on Cornell Law's website) are pretty comprehensive.

Thanks for the advice!  I was thinking the same thing about Collegetown, so I'm glad to have a second opinion in line with my own.  I am heading up Thursday after next, I think, soonest I can go  :( I take it you went the graduate housing route rather than independently owned?  Whereabouts do you stay and how do you like it, if you don't mind my asking.  We can take this to PM also if you'd like/I appreciate whatever advice/insight you can give.

Aluhks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
Actually, I did end up in a privately owned apartment. Many of the apartments listed on Cornell's site are actually privately owned, but advertised for grad students because the landlords like us better than undergrads. Also, many of the landlords listing via Cornell's site may have other properties available.

I live at the very bottom of Collegetown, right where it runs in to the Commons/downtown. I like it immensely. The bus stop is about a block from my place (10 min. bus ride to school/15 minute walk), I'm walking distance from the better Ithaca bars (Commons bars are usually more fun than the Collegetown bars), walking distance from a grocery store, and so on.

My main insights on apartment hunting:
1. Only look at apartments where the landlord pays for the heating. Don't worry about what other utilities the landlord does or doesn't pay. Make sure they pay for the heat. First off, if they don't, you will get stuck with a lot more bills than you expect. Secondly, if they pay for the heat, they have incentive to have maintained the insulation well.

2. If you come looking now, there will be lots of options. This means you can be picky, especially about not renting in buildings/houses that also rent out to undergrads. Most of the landlords here prefer grad students and completely understand why they might want grad-student only housing. Be upfront about it if you want grad-student only places.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
Actually, I did end up in a privately owned apartment. Many of the apartments listed on Cornell's site are actually privately owned, but advertised for grad students because the landlords like us better than undergrads. Also, many of the landlords listing via Cornell's site may have other properties available.

I live at the very bottom of Collegetown, right where it runs in to the Commons/downtown. I like it immensely. The bus stop is about a block from my place (10 min. bus ride to school/15 minute walk), I'm walking distance from the better Ithaca bars (Commons bars are usually more fun than the Collegetown bars), walking distance from a grocery store, and so on.

My main insights on apartment hunting:
1. Only look at apartments where the landlord pays for the heating. Don't worry about what other utilities the landlord does or doesn't pay. Make sure they pay for the heat. First off, if they don't, you will get stuck with a lot more bills than you expect. Secondly, if they pay for the heat, they have incentive to have maintained the insulation well.

2. If you come looking now, there will be lots of options. This means you can be picky, especially about not renting in buildings/houses that also rent out to undergrads. Most of the landlords here prefer grad students and completely understand why they might want grad-student only housing. Be upfront about it if you want grad-student only places.

Good info, thanks a bunch! One more thing...I see a lot of 2+bedroom advertisements, but ideally I would like a 1-bedroom to nix any possible roommate drama; do you know if it is very difficult to find a nice, affordable 1br apartment?  Thanks.

VirusNY

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 12:02:39 AM »
Just to throw a couple of sentences about living in Ithaca. As a 1L this year I have been living in Hughes Hall. Despite what some people say, it is not too bad over here. I live in a "suite" with two other guys. We each have our own rooms, but we share one bathroom (although so far haven't had any problems with that).

Now as for apartments, I will be living in the Valentine Apartments next year, which is about 10-15 minutes walking from school. They provide a morning shuttle every 20 minutes but you'd have to walk back. I got a one bedroom for $745, but it does not include electricity (and hence no heating is paid for). The electric company here can charge you a flat rate per month which comes to $110 for my apartment. So, my rent next year will be $855 including everything (internet, parking, etc were included in the rent). The real estate agency that gives out these apartments (many apartments available until classes start) is named Novarr-Mackesey. Anyway, do not worry about housing. You can find something the day before classes begin if you want to. You can just take a walk around and ask any of the houses you see about whether they are renting out apartments. They mostly are. Good luck!
Cornell Law 2011

Aluhks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 12:17:27 AM »
Valentine is that expensive? Wow. Nice apartments though.

Couple of other decent property managers:
Haag Properties (my landlord)
Beers Property - they have a bunch of houses in various parts of Collegetown

The good thing about Ithaca is that as long as you live anywhere in town, you're going to be only a short walk or bus ride from school.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 01:25:05 AM »
thanks for the tips everyone.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 01:38:01 AM »
Just to throw a couple of sentences about living in Ithaca. As a 1L this year I have been living in Hughes Hall. Despite what some people say, it is not too bad over here. I live in a "suite" with two other guys. We each have our own rooms, but we share one bathroom (although so far haven't had any problems with that).

Now as for apartments, I will be living in the Valentine Apartments next year, which is about 10-15 minutes walking from school. They provide a morning shuttle every 20 minutes but you'd have to walk back. I got a one bedroom for $745, but it does not include electricity (and hence no heating is paid for). The electric company here can charge you a flat rate per month which comes to $110 for my apartment. So, my rent next year will be $855 including everything (internet, parking, etc were included in the rent). The real estate agency that gives out these apartments (many apartments available until classes start) is named Novarr-Mackesey. Anyway, do not worry about housing. You can find something the day before classes begin if you want to. You can just take a walk around and ask any of the houses you see about whether they are renting out apartments. They mostly are. Good luck!

Thank you!  It's a good thing to know I won't have too much trouble finding a place to stay  :D

vandy09eng

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:38 AM »
Officially attending Cornell in the fall! Unfortunately, I missed the admitted student weekends...

1Ls, do I need a car in Ithaca and will I have trouble finding a roommate if I didnt attend any ASW?