Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does anyone know someone who's gotten back into law school after a dismissal?  (Read 4423 times)

backtolawschool

• View Profile
I was academically dismissed from a Tier 3 school in May 2007 because I was anemic and became ill. In 2008, I enrolled in a California correspondence Law School (not ABA approved) to retake some of my first year classes and got a 4.0 (for what that's worth). I am ready to reapply to a Tier 3 school for Fall 09 (either as a 1L, or 2L if I decide to take the CA First Year bar exam this June). Realistically, what are my chances with getting back into the same sort of schools that I was accepted to the first time around with the same LSAT score?

bncounter6

• View Profile
I was academically dismissed (due to grades from 1L) from law school as well but it's been over a decade.  Personally, I don't know of anyone who has gotten admitted but I have recently applied to law school for Fall 2009.  One of the schools actually waitlisted me.  Therefore, it stands to reason that they will consider you....especially since you were sick.  Of course, you may have to retake the LSAT and reapply as a 1L.  A lot of schools will reconsider students like ourselves but for some schools it's rare that they'll bite....maybe except for someone like yourself.  Just be prepared to jump through some hoops! 

As for the California correspondence law school, I know of no other law school that will accept credits from a correspondence course.  However, there are a handful of ABA law schools that will actually accept credits from a state accredited law school.  I seriously doubt if the correspondence course is state accredited though. 

The fact that you're having to take the baby bar would suggest that your correspondence school is not state accredited since (at least in California) state accredited schools are exempt from the baby bar (assuming if you possess a BA/BS degree as a law student).

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
bncounter6 is correct.  No matter if it was a CBE school, unfortunately those credits will not transfer. so at the very worst, I hope you didn't dole out too much $ if you're interested in getting back to an ABA school.

As for re-applying, I don't believe it would be a problem.  Are you not interested in your former school?  I would think a talk with the administration there would be helpful.  DON'T take the Baby-bar.  I understand it to be as hard or harder than the actual Bar itself.  I was under the impression that the baby bar was just for those schools who didn't require the LSAT.  Assuming you were in an ABA program before,  your bachelors is a given.  CALL your former school and see what they say.  Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.  I studied this topic here in SoCal when I first considered law and have some opinions on the topic.
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

steelerfan82

• View Profile
    • Email
I was academically dismissed from a Tier 3 school in May 2007 because I was anemic and became ill. In 2008, I enrolled in a California correspondence Law School (not ABA approved) to retake some of my first year classes and got a 4.0 (for what that's worth). I am ready to reapply to a Tier 3 school for Fall 09 (either as a 1L, or 2L if I decide to take the CA First Year bar exam this June). Realistically, what are my chances with getting back into the same sort of schools that I was accepted to the first time around with the same LSAT score?

quick question, what was your LSAT score? That would matter because a better score may even put you into a t2.

either way, good luck :)
GO STEELERS!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You might first consider a petition for reinstatement at your old school. But if you are after T-3 or T-4, you may have a shot.