Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOW Lsat Addendum  (Read 5626 times)

ohhmy

• View Profile
    • Email
LOW Lsat Addendum
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »
Hello,

I  took the LSAT Dec 08, and I got a score of 148 not so good :(.
I was thinking of writing an addendum, to explain how I am not a good standardized test taker.
I was planning of telling them that I got a 22 on my ACT and my GPA right now is a 3.47.  Which shows that I am determined and a good student.

Do you guys think I should write one and if so How do I start it??

Thank for your responses in advance...

itzjulz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LOW Lsat Addendum
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »
Writing an addendum really only works when you're trying to explain the difference between two scores, or if you REALLY have a crazy excuse for why you scored low (I think I read some post on here or TLS about someone taking the test in Korea and them closing an airport due to political unrest or something.  That's legit).  If you were to take the test again and do significantly better, then you might have a reason to write an addendum, but doing bad on your ACT isn't a good reason.

When you take your law school exams, you won't be able to use the "I'm a bad test taker" excuse to get a better grade on a 4-hour written exam, nor will it work when you have to sit for the bar.

If you really want to apply this cycle, send a few apps out, but I'd consider retaking the test and waiting a year.
3.84/167

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »
Writing an addendum really only works when you're trying to explain the difference between two scores, or if you REALLY have a crazy excuse for why you scored low (I think I read some post on here or TLS about someone taking the test in Korea and them closing an airport due to political unrest or something.  That's legit).  If you were to take the test again and do significantly better, then you might have a reason to write an addendum, but doing bad on your ACT isn't a good reason.

When you take your law school exams, you won't be able to use the "I'm a bad test taker" excuse to get a better grade on a 4-hour written exam, nor will it work when you have to sit for the bar.

If you really want to apply this cycle, send a few apps out, but I'd consider retaking the test and waiting a year.

All true, however unlike the LSAT, you also canít keep taking law school exams over and over until you get the score you want. But you wonít see anyone here make that argument.

But Iím in agreement, barring some really unique situation or a documented learning disability or other type handicap that impacts your score, your addendum is not going to do much to sway adcoms where you numbers are much lower than normal.  The unfortunate truth is, your either going to have to apply to schools that take your score or take it again. The only other option will cost you about 45k and is a huge risk, I donít recommend it.

Take the test again, good luck.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

OasisFan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment about LSAT addendums, from all the books that i've read it seems like the two most legitimate excuses for considering a lower LSAT score are "family emergency" or "history of poor standardized test taking".  Obviously both would probably need to be validated, but I am sure there are some schools who will take these factors into account.  with that said, with a 148 I would suggest retaking and a prep-course (if you have the time and the means).  Self-Study i also crucial to success on the LSAT.

best of luck to you

ohhmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
Thank yo, all.