Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfering from USC to GULC  (Read 2239 times)

Koobideh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transfering from USC to GULC
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:30:56 PM »
Hi, I just received my first semester grades from USC and I have an A in torts (2nd highest grade in section), A+ in civ pro (highest grade in section), A- in contracts, A in legal writing (highest grade)... They haven't released the law, language and ethics grade yet (course unique to USC i believe) but I am pretty sure I did well.

I know that GULC has an early action program where you can transfer based on 1st semester grades and I was wondering whether it would be worth transferring.

The largest pro is that it would be a safety move in case I dont do as well in the second semester and my chances of transfer get diminished...

I would like to practice in a large law firm setting in the LA area after graduation, and would transfer to Georgetown simply because i have better BigLaw opportunities at Gtown (particularly given this downhill economy)...would appreciate the advice. 

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering from USC to GULC
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
I would aim MUCH higher than GULC if I were you (i.e., the top 5 schools).  Don't sell yourself short; it looks like you have a solid shot at a top school.  Definitely apply to GULC early action... but if that's the only place you're accepted than you may have a tough decision ahead of you.  USC is a good school, and since you want to stay in LA you may be better off being at the top of your class there.  I don't know if GULC is worth it.  But if you got into somewhere like Stanford I think it's a no-brainer.   

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »
GULC from USC doesn't make any sense, especially if you want to stay in CA.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:13:50 PM »
Hi, I just received my first semester grades from USC and I have an A in torts (2nd highest grade in section), A+ in civ pro (highest grade in section), A- in contracts, A in legal writing (highest grade)... They haven't released the law, language and ethics grade yet (course unique to USC i believe) but I am pretty sure I did well.

I know that GULC has an early action program where you can transfer based on 1st semester grades and I was wondering whether it would be worth transferring.

The largest pro is that it would be a safety move in case I dont do as well in the second semester and my chances of transfer get diminished...

I would like to practice in a large law firm setting in the LA area after graduation, and would transfer to Georgetown simply because i have better BigLaw opportunities at Gtown (particularly given this downhill economy)...would appreciate the advice. 

I was similarly situated after the first semester of my 1L year. I applied early to GULC out of "fear" of a grade drop so I'd be able to go to a better school if things went south. Sounds logical at first blush, but it simply doesn't work. You almost certainly will not have your second semester grades back by the time you have to deposit upwards of $750 at GULC. It's not worth it. Particularly given that, in all likelihood, your grades will be about the same when all's said and done.

Good luck.

redbull

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
Either way the firms will evaluate you based on your USC grades and I'm sure all of the big players interview at USC so I think you'd actually be doing yourself a disservice by transferring - unless it was to Boalt or Stanford (and even then its probably not worth it solely for biglaw).

justuskuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:01:24 AM »
With those grades, moving from USC to GULC would be a mistake if you only want to end up in LA.  The only smart move would be transferring to Stanford which you might be able to do if you keep up the good work.  Otherwise, sit tight at USC and let the firms fight over you being near the top of your class. 

giant_slayer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 05:22:42 AM »
Its not worth it. at all. let me repeat-at all.
david taking down goliath is not an exception to the rule, it IS the rule.

Koobideh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:47:44 AM »
I think i'll apply to GULC and maybe some others to at least use the acceptances in obtaining additional scholarship money from USC. 

On another note...I had to accept one of those "exploding offers" (for externship - summer) from a judge last week. School policy dictates that I CANNOT say anything but yes (not even "may I have a day to think it over") to a judge...which is a little harsh. 

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
GULC is top for DC (except H+Y) and great for the East Coast, but in your case I would aim for Boalt Hall or Stanford.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:15:49 AM »
I love the blind slave following of the rankings around here. The OP is a perfect example. "I can move up FOUR SPOTS IN THE RANKINGS?!?!?!? I'M THERE DUDE!!!!!111"

Seriously, if you want to stay in CA, why would you go to GULC?