Law School Discussion

Do Law Admissions ever 'recruit' you?

Do Law Admissions ever 'recruit' you?
« on: January 18, 2009, 12:02:53 PM »
Trying to figure out if this is for real or not. My LSAT's are 154 , GPA is 3.05 - double major( not sure if this is any big deal or not ) and I got an email from head of Admisissions at Florida Central saying I've got a spot for August '09 + a merit scholarship and they'll waive the application fee.
 I've never even thought of applying to this school. Anyone ever heard of this happening before?
Can some schools be that desperate for applicants? I had heard applicants were up 50% this year because of the lousy economy.
J

econtutorNV

• Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Do Law Admissions ever 'recruit' you?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
In Soviet Union, law schools recruit you!

If you meant "Florida Coastal" when you said "Florida Central" do yourself a favor and delete the email and forget about the school. From my (albeit limited) understanding the "school" is downright horrible.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Do Law Admissions ever 'recruit' you?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:53:20 PM »
Law schools can get your information from LSAC depending on whether you checked a certain box in your personal settings.  With knowledge of your LSAT score, self-reported GPA, and other factors such as geography, schools will sometimes send out solicitations.  Some solicitations are just a brochure of the school.  Sometimes the school will offer to waive your application fee (you can also sometimes solicit the school yourself to have them waive your fee).

Anyway, be skeptical of any school that guarantees acceptance and/or offers a scholarship before you've even applied.  These schools are so desperate for someone with an LSAT in the mid 150s or higher that they will admit you based on your score without even considering you as an applicant.  Desperate probably means crappy.  Cooley and Florida Coastal are the two biggest offenders.