Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Strange Question...  (Read 3758 times)

Bella Cullen

• View Profile
Strange Question...
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:03 PM »
Or maybe not...

I'm looking for colleges that are ABA approved but I'd like it if they had a 'distance' option. Mostly because that's what would work for me. I found that UNM (I live in New Mexico) offers distance courses but I cannot find any information like that for the law school.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  :-\

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Question...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:26:47 AM »
I'm 99.9% sure there aren't any such programs.  I believe that as of now, students *physically* attending class is part of getting and maintaining ABA accreditation (IIRC, anyway).

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:04:39 AM »
Some law schools allow you to take a certain number of credits at the undergrad/grad school (so you may not have to take those brick-and-mortar), or you could potentially do an externship/independent study for a semester when you're a 2L or 3L.  But your law classes will need to be in the law school.  Online-only, as far as I know, is not ABA-approved.

Bella Cullen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »
Okay, thanks for the replies.  :)

externalaw

• Boo
    • View Profile
    • For the  Law student
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 08:21:26 AM »
there is a forum dedicated to distant learning LLB degrees, www.externalaw.com it is a free and non-commercial community.
As a distant learner I think it is important to specifically take care of this issue.
I frequent the following law student support forum
www.externalaw.com

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
there is a forum dedicated to distant learning LLB degrees, www.externalaw.com it is a free and non-commercial community.
As a distant learner I think it is important to specifically take care of this issue.

I'll bite. What is an external law student?

externalaw

• Boo
    • View Profile
    • For the  Law student
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:10:46 AM »

I'll bite. What is an external law student?

Hi,

A lot of people study law as an external student, or as a distant learner. You get the same degree, LLB (hons) but you never go to school, meet your teachers or fellow students (although you can of course visit campus) you do exams either at a local Uni in your area, or at the British Consulate.

London College offers such an option, as does Nottingham Trent, both very old and respected universities.

Some people seem to think these are weird degrees, but in the work force this is most likely a PLUS and not a MINUS as it shows enormous dedication and motivation to study alone for all these years.

To make this task lighter and to have some sort of peer support, externalaw.com offers such a place. Of course all law students are welcome as we all study the same subjects, in fact! we could HUGELY benefit from your points of view, notes and lecture material.... AS WE DO NOT HAVE ANY!

The site has a file share section, movies, forums and lots more!
I frequent the following law student support forum
www.externalaw.com

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:49:09 AM »
but are they ABA approved?

Ladylaw2009

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »
As recent as yesterday, I research this and 100% non existent.