Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Irvine??? New School of Law opening...  (Read 1801 times)

UC Irvine??? New School of Law opening...
« on: January 16, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
Any thoughts about UC Irvine? Opening this fall and they are supposed to be giving out almost full scholarships to all of it's incoming class...

devildog_jim

• View Profile
Re: UC Irvine??? New School of Law opening...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
And they're not accredited by the ABA, and you won't know until your 3L year if they'll have provisional accreditation before you graduate.  Run, do not walk, in the other direction..

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:33:44 PM »
And they're not accredited by the ABA, and you won't know until your 3L year if they'll have provisional accreditation before you graduate.  Run, do not walk, in the other direction..

This bolded part is true. However, I wouldn't say run away. The school's dean is Chemerinsky, the most cited law professor and basically a celebrity in the law profession. The school will also have the backing of the UC system. I'm sure they will put forth whatever resources necessary to get accreditation. If a for-profit crap law school like University of Phoenix can do it in the fastest time possible, then UC-Irvine can do it. Of course, there is always the risk it won't happen, but I don't see them having any problems.

devildog_jim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:13:32 AM »
Given that Chemerinsky has already been let go by the administration once I don't know that I'd count him as a strength.  I'm wary of schools that have only provisional or probationary accreditation, a totally unaccredited school that has already fired its all-star dean once seems to fall into the "you must be joking" column if your lsat is over 145.

PS:  Phoenix School of Law is not associated with The University of Phoenix.  Thanks for playing.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:25:56 AM »
Given that Chemerinsky has already been let go by the administration once I don't know that I'd count him as a strength.  I'm wary of schools that have only provisional or probationary accreditation, a totally unaccredited school that has already fired its all-star dean once seems to fall into the "you must be joking" column if your lsat is over 145.

PS:  Phoenix School of Law is not associated with The University of Phoenix.  Thanks for playing.

I knew Phoenix SOL wasn't the same us Uofphoenix, but I forget the name distinctions sometimes. It's hard to remember when they both suck.

I don't really know anything about Chemerinsky being let go, but my advice to the OP would be to do your own research. Don't listen to devildogjim, the internet troll with 3 posts. In fact, don't listen to me either. Go look around on the net and see what you can find. I'm sure there is some decent info out there.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »

I disagree with this post. For a school as prestigious as UC Irvine NOT TO GET ABA APPROVAL on its first try would be like Ohio State Football moving to Division-II. Irvine is a consensus top-10 public university, nationally, and its other departments and professional schools are also top-ranked. It WILL be ABA approved, period, no worries about that. What seems a bit off is Chemerinsky's forecast that UCI will be ranked as a top-20 school in its first-ever ranking in three years (or, rather, that is a stated goal)

We'll see about that one. I can see it getting to top-50 (or even top-40) fairly easily, and it can make the top 30 within, say, five years after accreditation. But the school will have to build a strong track record to surpass Davis or Hastings...or even San Diego for that matter. The school can reach top-20, but it won't be in three years...maybe 10-15 years is more realistic.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
I address UC Irvine extensively today on www.prelawadvice.com

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
botbot can I join your blog as a writer?