Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Teaching College Level After Law School  (Read 9358 times)

casper86

• View Profile
    • Email
Teaching College Level After Law School
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
I am a 1L, and I always wanted to go into part-time college-level teaching after law school. ( I don't have a preference as to what subjects I want to teach). Is a law degree sufficient or should I also attain a master's in education? ( I know many community colleges and state schools including the one from which I got my BA hire those with Master's).

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching College Level After Law School
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
I had a great professor who has his jd and I don't believe he had his masters. Ill pm you later with the info!
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
Trust me, don't waste your time getting an M.Ed if you already have a JD.  The JD is seen as doctorate level experience and if you want to teach at a college level, subject matter experience is oftentimes more important than teaching experience.

ETA: I should be clear that I'm referencing community college teaching. I'd imagine requirements for 4 year schools can widely vary.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »
My understanding is that a masters in education is not geared towards higher education. I highly doubt it would do anything for you.

Community college should be fairly easy to teach. A 4 year school will probably mandate that you publish quite a bit or get a phd. I do know that there are profs who are JD only at 4yr undergrad campuses. At my undergrad there were a few in the polisci department who taught mostly pre-law type classes.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
I took poli sci courses (Con Law) and history courses (History of the Constitution, US Legal History) with professors who only had a J.D. Granted, one was a former Duke Law Prof, and the other was a current UF law Prof.
Vandy 1L... really?

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:47 PM »
A JD is not a terminal degree. That's what PhDs are for. For an adjunct position it probably won't matter, but there are, as always, exceptions. Had a convo recently with someone who was tired of getting apps from crim defense guys that thought a JD and 20 years experience meant that they were qualified to teach criminal justice at the local state U. Not without a PhD, dooder.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
Umm...

A JD is the terminal degree for law. You don't get Phd's in law. I suppose one could make an argument that the SJD is the terminal degree for law, but it's not widely given, and tends to be hyper-specialized.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »
A JD is not a terminal degree. That's what PhDs are for. For an adjunct position it probably won't matter, but there are, as always, exceptions. Had a convo recently with someone who was tired of getting apps from crim defense guys that thought a JD and 20 years experience meant that they were qualified to teach criminal justice at the local state U. Not without a PhD, dooder.

Huh, that seems like a form over substance thing.

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »

Huh, that seems like a form over substance thing.

We're talking academia here. You want to practice law, get a JD. You want to teach at a university, you need a terminal degree, which is a PhD. Not saying it makes sense, just that people get pissy about it. A PhD from Sam Houston State will get you an interview, a JD from HLS will not. (That last sentence was a qoute, btw) As always (as noted above) I know there are exceptions to this. Welcome to the UG side of the ivory tower.

Edit: Another favourite qoute from a UG prof: "dear god, please tell me you don't let people call you doctor. You don't have a real doctorate."
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »

I get it. It's just stupid. It's the opposite at LS. It's a turf protection thing on both the UG and LS level.