Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances at these schools?  (Read 489 times)

lovelyjj

• View Profile
What are my chances at these schools?
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:45:59 AM »
Hello~ I am applying to bunch of schools right now. I have 3.6 GPA and 157 LSAT from a big public school. Do I have any chance at these schools?
Emory
Wisconsin
William and Mary
Loyola
Seattle
SUNY-Buffalo
Wake Forest
I am Asian but I came to US when I was about 15. I also have done a lot of extracurricular activities. I'm  wondering if Asians are considered minority by these schools since I heard so many times that there are too many Asians
in law school so we dont have the previliege of URM status. :P Anyways. Thanks in advance.

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances at these schools?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »
Hello~ I am applying to bunch of schools right now. I have 3.6 GPA and 157 LSAT from a big public school. Do I have any chance at these schools?
Emory
Wisconsin
William and Mary
Loyola
Seattle
SUNY-Buffalo
Wake Forest
I am Asian but I came to US when I was about 15. I also have done a lot of extracurricular activities. I'm  wondering if Asians are considered minority by these schools since I heard so many times that there are too many Asians
in law school so we dont have the previliege of URM status. :P Anyways. Thanks in advance.

I think Asians don't qualify as URMs.  I'm not one-hundred percent sure on that...and if I'm wrong, these predictions are also incorrect.  In any event, my guesses:

Emory (Rejected)
Wisconsin (Rejected, unless state resident; if so, it could go either way)
William and Mary (Rejected)
Loyola (Chicago?  WL, Rejected)
Seattle (Accepted, maybe WL, Accept)
SUNY-Buffalo (Accepted)
Wake Forest (Rejected)

Michigan 2010.  Brr.

SamE397

Re: What are my chances at these schools?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »
Asians generally aren't considered URMs for admissions purposes though they might be for hiring purposes depending on the firm. The fact they you are foreign born could qualify you as a URM though.  Also, if you're bilingual that could give you a bump in the admissions process too. You should be talking with a prelaw advisor though they would probably know much more about this than LD posters. As for the schools you mentioned I'm guessing the previous poster has it about right maybe if you had been applying earlier you would have had a shot at Wisconsin and Loyola but I don't see it at this point.