Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer odds?  (Read 2678 times)

ms04003

• View Profile
Transfer odds?
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:00:30 AM »
I am a 1L at a T25 school with a 3.61/top 15%...any thoughts on transferring in terms of where I have a chance and whether or not it is worth the effort for increased job prospects?

Thanks!

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer odds?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »
You're at zero right now. Get back to us when you have a full year of 1L grades. However, it is much easier to transfer up from T25 to several of the T14 if you're top 15%, whereas someone with your rank at a Top 50 school would not have a chance.

Keep kicking butt this semester and see where you land after spring grades come out. Spend this semester schmoozing professors so you can hit them up for recommendations later (I promise you that every prof I spoke to about transferring was supportive and happy to write a recommendation for me).
Vanderbilt 2010

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »
Can't you apply to transfer to Gtown with just your first semester 1L grades?

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 12:41:40 PM »
You're at zero right now. Get back to us when you have a full year of 1L grades. However, it is much easier to transfer up from T25 to several of the T14 if you're top 15%, whereas someone with your rank at a Top 50 school would not have a chance.

Keep kicking butt this semester and see where you land after spring grades come out. Spend this semester schmoozing professors so you can hit them up for recommendations later (I promise you that every prof I spoke to about transferring was supportive and happy to write a recommendation for me).

that's not entirely accurate.  You could apply to Georgetown.  They allow people to apply based on their 1st semester grades.  Chances are you have a pretty good shot, too.  I don't know if GULC is too far down the list (14) for your likes, but it is a really good school.  Good luck and congrats on your grades.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
If I was top 15% at a T25 I would be aiming for the top 5 schools.  Apply to GULC early action, b/c that's probably a safe bet.  Just apply to the whole T14.

ms04003

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I have heard some people say that if you are top of your class it is better to stay where you with an established GPA than to transfer up and risk being at the bottom...any thoughts on this?

Also I know that second semester GPA is generally needed before making an informed decision about transfering, but when is an appropriate time to start talking to profs about letters of rec?

Thanks again!

ms04003

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »
Also what is this yahoo tranfer group that I have seen people talking about?  Thanks!

RonSantoRules

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »
Also what is this yahoo tranfer group that I have seen people talking about?  Thanks!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 05:20:47 AM »
I am a 1L at a T25 school with a 3.61/top 15%...any thoughts on transferring in terms of where I have a chance and whether or not it is worth the effort for increased job prospects?

Thanks!

So you're at...BU? Emory? WUSTL? GWU? W & L? Texas (location)? Minnesota (location)? I doubt you would transfer from USC, Vanderbilt, UCLA or ND.

Or are you at an "arguable top-25" like Fordham, William & Mary, BC, etc.

Just curious.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 06:09:44 AM »
get those lor's asap;  some profs could take quite a while to get them together.  if you have all your ducks in a row (lors, ps, etc) , in the next couple months, you can send your apps out right after exams (or after you get your grades).