Law School Discussion

GULC early admissions (from T4)

;;;;;

• View Profile
GULC early admissions (from T4)
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »
Hey, does anyone know the story with GULC's early admissions (transfer admission based off of a student's 1st semester grades) policy?  Has anyone gone through this process?  Is it more selective considering it is only based off of one semester of course work?  Would they tell a T4 student "fuckoff" and to wait until the 1st year grades are in?

Yes, I am a 1L at a T4 (I know, I know..."why did I ever go here?" I've heard ya'll poo on my school plenty of times so no need to reiterate).  My grades this semester were as follows: A+ (Legal Writing), A-(Torts), A-(Property), and A-(Contracts).  Also, I'm not sure exactly how nasty the curve is at my school, but for the sake of discussion assume it is average.  Considering I don't want to delve into my life story, what does your gut say about my chances for early admission at GULC?  I checked transfer apps on yahoo (so you need not suggest it, I'm not retarded despite the fact I'm at a T4) and it was hard to tell.  I understand it is impossible to know for sure, but I like to think about it.  If not GULC, any other suggestions for schools with my numbers (assuming I can replicate them next semester)?  Finally, I am from Wisconsin and I think they like to take kids from the state...Maybe there?

Thanks.

Re: GULC early admissions (from T4)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
What's your class rank?  Compare that to the aforementioned yahoo group and that will tell you what your chances look like.  One would guess it is more selective because they still have regular transfer applicants that will follow a few weeks after they admit the EA applicants.

;;;;;

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
What's your class rank?  Compare that to the aforementioned yahoo group and that will tell you what your chances look like.  One would guess it is more selective because they still have regular transfer applicants that will follow a few weeks after they admit the EA applicants.

right on.  I would tell you my class rank except I don't think we will know it for a couple more weeks.

SASS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »
I went through this process last year. Unless your in the very top of your class (like top five people) I found they tend to defer T4's until a full year of grades are in. I think you do have a decent shot at making it as an early admit because it sounds like you probably killed your curve (good job!). No harm in trying. Get your letters of rec in and wait and see. Oh, and I don't think it matters that you are originally from Wisconsin (unless for some reason that makes you unique but this standing alone probably does not) but I did notice GULC seems to favor some T4's over others similarly situated.

Good luck getting out of your T4. I did last year (not to GULC, didn't get in, but to a T20) and this was the best decision of my life. No amount of money could have kept me from leaving.

Good luck!

;;;;;

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »
I went through this process last year. Unless your in the very top of your class (like top five people) I found they tend to defer T4's until a full year of grades are in. I think you do have a decent shot at making it as an early admit because it sounds like you probably killed your curve (good job!). No harm in trying. Get your letters of rec in and wait and see. Oh, and I don't think it matters that you are originally from Wisconsin (unless for some reason that makes you unique but this standing alone probably does not) but I did notice GULC seems to favor some T4's over others similarly situated.

Good luck getting out of your T4. I did last year (not to GULC, didn't get in, but to a T20) and this was the best decision of my life. No amount of money could have kept me from leaving.

Good luck!

awesome man, thanks a lot.  Good advice.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed to get the hell outta here.