Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances if any?  (Read 1080 times)

hecometsoon

• View Profile
    • Email
What are my chances if any?
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:44:08 PM »
Foreign educated attorney, LL.B(Nigeria, CGPA 3.23) LL.M(Northwestern, IL. CGPA 3.71) Lsat 139. 39yrs presently and seeking to get into 2YJD program. Plus I have 6 solid years of full time practice as an associate attorney in a common law jurisdiction prior to relocating to the U.S. What are my chances?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances if any?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »
Foreign educated attorney, LL.B(Nigeria, CGPA 3.23) LL.M(Northwestern, IL. CGPA 3.71) Lsat 139. 39yrs presently and seeking to get into 2YJD program. Plus I have 6 solid years of full time practice as an associate attorney in a common law jurisdiction prior to relocating to the U.S. What are my chances?

I don't know what your chances are because you have a really unusual set of experiences and qualifications.  I strongly urge you to retake the LSAT, however, as there are no accredited law schools in the country that regularly accept students with 139s.  Obviously, in an ideal world, your excellent LL.M. GPA would show schools that you can handle the work.  Unfortunately, schools here also care so much about the rankings that they abandon common sense in favor of higher scores.  Can you retake the LSAT?

Good luck!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

hecometsoon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:41:19 PM »
I am not sure if re-taking the LSAT would help, but I have submitted application to some law schools that grants foreign educated attorneys advance standing status. According to my discussions with some of them, they kind of conduct evaluation of your qualification with less emphasis on your LSAT scores. They instead focus more on your grades in the law degree in respect of which you are seeking advance standing.

If admmitted and granted advance standing,credit is usually granted for prior legal work such that the JD program will be completed in 2 years.

I have also applied to Cornell after discussing my position with them and they asked me to apply as a transfer student having completed an LL.M program at Northwestern, and that I am eligible to submit a transfer application.

Also from my dicussions with U.Chicago and Columbia U.they have given me the go ahead to apply as a transfer student whenever their transfer period begins and that the emphasis in reviewing transfer application is on the one year work and the ranking of the law school one is transferring from. Maybe my LL.M CGPA would mean more in a strictly tranfer application. I hope it does.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »
Oh, that's great!  I didn't understand that you would be applying as a transfer or advanced-standing applicant.  (I see now that you mentioned the two-year program in your original post, but I slipped over it.)  I think, then, that your excellent grades at Northwestern and your special circumstances should put you in a good position, but you obviously know much more about this from your conversations with admissions staff.  Good luck, again!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

hecometsoon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »
Interestingly,at Northwestern Law School. LL.M students take classes with JD students and are evaluated together, and I took the following courses- Jurisprudence, Securities Regulation, Venture Capital, Mergers & Acquisition, Secured Transaction, Corporation, Corporate Governance, Securities Litigation and Mutual Fund Regulation. With the exception of Jurisprudence, all the other courses where taken together with JD students. These are tough courses, but I still was able to get a CGPA OF 3.71.