Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So what now  (Read 1780 times)

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
So what now
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
T-50 school (ranked 40-50 in US News) got my first semester grades back....not what I had hoped. Not horrible, but straight B's and I think our school has a 3.0 or 3.2 curve, can't remember exactly. So what should I do now? I really want to work in private practice, not biglaw but a small to midsize firm. Other than improving this semester, what can I do to help my case to distinguish myself when I am decidedly middle of the pack?

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So what now
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »
well, the first part of the game plan is to figure out whether your school has a 3.0 or 3.2....

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:31:37 PM »
well, the first part of the game plan is to figure out whether your school has a 3.0 or 3.2....

I am pretty sure it is curved to a 3.2.....lets assume for purposes of this question, worst case scenario.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:37:22 PM »
Talk to Matthies.  Also: how is your journal membership decided?  Grades, write-on, both, or all three in various combinations?

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:17:39 PM »
1. Necro- Don't be so coy! You're going to be UF; be proud to be a gator.

2. UF's curve is variable; I believe it is 3.25 as a max, but varies from 3.15 - 3.25 at discretion. It can be waived if class is under 25 at can be adjusted for upper level courses that are over-enrolled with high-gpa students (Conflict of Laws, fer instance).

3. Here's the basic way to determine your grades as a 1L at Levin:
A: Awesome! You, and maybe nine of your classmates, got one of these.
B+: Above average; solid.
B: Meh.
C+: You, sir, angered the teacher.
C: You should be thankful they don't fail people at this school.
Anything lower than a C: nearly unheard of. You would probably have to poop on the professor's  podium during the single class you attend, and then pee on your bluebook to get lower than a C.

In short- all Bs are not very good. Do a search for previous class percentiles and you'll get an idea as to what top 10-25-33% finish with.
Traditionally, the top third have a 3.4 gpa.
The top 10% have a 3.65 gpa.

Not sure how minus grades are going to affect all this.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »
Aw, hell. Let's be more specific with the advice:

1. You're doomed for a paying 1L job. However, you can hook on with a good summer externship. DO THIS. You can get six credits and good legal experience. Otherwise, try to ingratiate with some professors this semester and try and RA while taking classes this summer.

2. Join some stud. organizations and become an enthusiastic board member. Choose ones that network well- ACS (liberal), Federalists (Conservative), LS Dems or Repubs, Business Law, Real Property Group. It's not much, but it's something.

3. LEARN THE BLUE BOOK. NOW! You can still get on LR through the competition. They'll be info sessions soon; this will be huge. Also try to get on to moot court (either the main or that silly int'l one- Jessup?).

4. Do better next semester. Learn from your mistakes. Find the good students in your section and join a study group with them. Go to the law review tutoring sessions. Use the E&Es.

Hope this helps.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:26:36 PM »
Loki, you're one of the best posters here (because of your helpful info and most importantly you're a Gator).  Keep up the good work. 

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »
1. You're doomed for a paying 1L job. However, you can hook on with a good summer externship. DO THIS. You can get six credits and good legal experience. Otherwise, try to ingratiate with some professors this semester and try and RA while taking classes this summer.

There are plenty of paying legal jobs for a student with his grades...

PM matthies because I'm far too lazy to deal with this.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »

There are plenty of paying legal jobs for a student with his grades...

PM matthies because I'm far too lazy to deal with this.

[EDITED TO BE LESS SNARKY]

I'm familiar with the OP's school and the job market for 1Ls both traditionally at that school and currently. Usually, it is difficult for 1Ls in the top 30% of the class to get paying jobs. The OP is not even sniffing the 50th percentile. You may have faith- I prefer giving more solid, fact-based advice.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:53 PM »

I'm familiar with the OP's school and the job market for 1Ls both traditionally at that school and currently. Usually, it is difficult for 1Ls in the top 30% of the class to get paying jobs.

What percentage of students (and I know this is conjecture) do you think land jobs as a 1L, and how much do you think the odds increase as you move farther up the rankings (e.g., 5, 10, 20%)?