Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone have their own laser printer?  (Read 2052 times)

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have their own laser printer?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 10:27:20 PM »
Damn, I couldn't be happier. 

The wireless feature is pretty sweet...can brief from the sofa and print to my home office.

The setup took a while, but I finally got it going with both my desktop and laptop.

It is now going for $119 w/ free shipping on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010Z3LGO/ref=pd_luc_hashrec_01_02

danmcd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 09:48:31 AM »
Just wanted to agree with pretty much everyone else here...I thought I was being economical during my masters by buying an hp inkjet printer for 20 pounds after having gone thru 4 years of undergrad with a Brother. Huge mistake. The inkjet took forever, ended up being much more expensive (the cartridge would last MAYBE 150 pgs, cost as much as the printer did), and was really, really slow. The speed may not sound hugely important, but if you're printing out handouts or anything in bulk, forget it. I sold the thing after 3 months and picked up a decently cheap laser printer for 60 pounds. I got free paper from the dorm, and I started printing everything out - totally worth it, and it's something I'll definitely do again for law school

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 09:56:13 AM »
I have never, ever needed a printer at home.  I have much more interesting things to do with my money than by printers that are completely unnecessary. If your school has free printing, use it.  For OCI resumes, use kinkos. (Maybe $25-30?)  Also, sending out 1L resumes required only e-mail. Why bother printing them out when most recruiting offices just prefer e-mail?

casper86

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:31 AM »
I got the HP LaserJet P1005. This is by far one the best laser printers I have ever used. Affordable. Fast. Efficient. No paper jams. I love it!

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 09:49:50 PM »
I'm looking to purchase one and would love to hear some reviews.

After starting the 1L job search over break, I'm quickly realizing how many hundreds of pages of cover letters, resumes, labels, writing samples, etc... that I'll be printing in the next couple of years.  Instead of paying $0.10/page at school to get laser quality (I only have a mediocre inkjet at home right now), I'm seriously contemplating a laser printer in the $150-250 range.

I've spotted a couple at Sam's Club, Costco, and Best Buy that seem reasonable, but I'd love to hear some feedback here if there is any...

A couple that pique my interest:
Samsung SCX-4725FN for $275:  All-in-one coppier-scanner-printer, has wireless capability
Brother HL-2170w for $145:  Just a printer, but also wireless and is relatively small.  I'm curious if its print quality is as good as some of the others though.

Any others that anyone recommends?

I bought that Brother printer specifically for law school and I love it!

btw amazon has it for cheaper http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010Z3LGO?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=cnet-ce-20&linkCode=asn