Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone have their own laser printer?  (Read 2218 times)

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone have their own laser printer?
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »
I'm looking to purchase one and would love to hear some reviews.

After starting the 1L job search over break, I'm quickly realizing how many hundreds of pages of cover letters, resumes, labels, writing samples, etc... that I'll be printing in the next couple of years.  Instead of paying $0.10/page at school to get laser quality (I only have a mediocre inkjet at home right now), I'm seriously contemplating a laser printer in the $150-250 range.

I've spotted a couple at Sam's Club, Costco, and Best Buy that seem reasonable, but I'd love to hear some feedback here if there is any...

A couple that pique my interest:
Samsung SCX-4725FN for $275:  All-in-one coppier-scanner-printer, has wireless capability
Brother HL-2170w for $145:  Just a printer, but also wireless and is relatively small.  I'm curious if its print quality is as good as some of the others though.

Any others that anyone recommends?

one4theteam

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have their own laser printer?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
I thought about this too, when I sent out my first 80 (OF MANY :() packets over break.  With postage, resume quality paper, envelopes and labels I was looking at $2.50 per mailing.  I couldn't help but think, "Man, here is $200 just down the drain."  But I also couldn't help thinking, don't be pennywise and poundfoolish.  $250 now could cost me $250,000 over my lifetime. 

But back to your post, honestly having come from a Biglaw as a staff member I can tell you the only laser printers worth the investment are the kind that Biglaw can afford - and even they just lease their equipment (at least the one I came from did).

A cheap laser printer I think is just that.  They'll never be as fast as the their office-grade counterparts and toner cartridges aren't cheap.  Plus, I don't know how much heavy volume printing a lower quality printer can spit out.  Some printers just get tired after the first 500 pages (roughly about 30 packets if you include a 10- page writing sample) and the quality declines.  (In my case, the cartridge just started leaving particles all over the page rendering the printouts very unprofessional looking and ultimately useless.) 

This summer I am having Kinkos do the work for me.  You can even submit your project online.  Have them PRINT it, NOT copy.  I did the math and for literally almost the same price (after you include paper, toner and even staples) it will literally cost me the same amount than if I spent countless hours doing it myself - $.10/page.  This is after their bulk discount which I anticipate even a modest sized summer mass mailing could easily qualify for. 

Of course, you will have to ensure that whatever documents you send to print are typo-free and in definite final form.  And yes, Kinkos can screw up a job.  I am sending all of my components separately so there can be no confusion as to what is stapled to what and how many copies of this and how many copies of that.  Plus I am sending my job in separate batches on separate days.  Its neurotic I know, but from my time in Biglaw I have seen even the most basic of print jobs screwed up by vendors.  Make it a no-brainer for them and do not assume they know what you want.  Last but not least, put it on your credit card and dispute the charges if the job just isn't done right and they won't fix it.     

You will save yourself countless hours, undeniable frustration and come out with a clean, professional packet.  It may sound extravagant, especially if you are already on a shoestring budget but it is well-worth it and extremely cost-efficient.  You may find the extra time you have useful for other aspects of your job search, such as researching prospective employers, networking, working on interview skills, whatever. 

Hopefully you will have to do this only ONCE in your lifetime, so good luck.  Hope this helps.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
I completely disagree with the poster above.  I think a laser printer is one of the best investments I've made since beginning law school.  My laser printer will print 3,500 pages per $75 cartridge ($56.99 online at Overstock.com with $2.95 shipping) and it is FAST.  I've already printed over 1,500 pages and I've only finished one semester in law school.  Not only are laser printers faster and cheaper than inkjet printers, the quality is excellent.  Of course, mine only prints in black and white, but I still have my inkjet if I need to print in color.  (I haven't used my inkjet once since I started law school, btw)

The poster above is only considering the cost for mailings.  I think that is incorrect.  You will be printing many pages of outlines, notes, cases and other random things.  Ink for inkjet printers is expensive.  Do yourself a favor and spend the $200 now instead of giving that money to Kinkos.  Even if you break even on mailings, it will save you over time on everything else. 

I have this:
Brother HL-5240. $199 at OfficeMax
http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21065525&cm_mmc=Google-_-GS+Printers-_-GS+PRINT+Brother+Specific-_-Brother+HL+5240&gclid=COPir9DmjJgCFSAUagod5FUnEA
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:58:20 PM »
I have a Brother HL-2170w. I couldn't get the wireless to work. Can't remember why--something about how my home network is set up.
Still, I really really like it. It's fast, never jams or acts weird, and will print at least 1500 pages before I have to replace the toner.

CLS 2011

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »
My laser printer was indispensable during law school (and college).  Seriously, who wants to go to the law school or Kinko's every time you want to print cases or law review articles?  I don't use it very much now that I've graduated and work in an office all day...but at this point, it's paid for itself.  I have a Samsung ML-1740 that cost $99...but I'm sure they've come out with something better in the 6 years that I've had mine.  I still have my inkjet too...but I haven't used it since college.

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
I have a Brother HL-2170w. I couldn't get the wireless to work. Can't remember why--something about how my home network is set up.
Still, I really really like it. It's fast, never jams or acts weird, and will print at least 1500 pages before I have to replace the toner.

This model is at the top of my list right now... are you pleased with the printing quality?  I know it probably isn't as refined as, say, a printer in the computer lab on campus, but overall, you feel solid printing resumes and cover letters on it?

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 12:14:53 AM »
I disagree with the sentiment that cheap laser printers aren't worth the money.  As long as it's made by a reliable company, it'll get the job done.   

Over the years, I've had horrid experiences with inkjet-type printers.  For law school, all you need is a solid, black and white, laser printer.  I bought this HP for around $100 at Circuit City before I started law school (I'm a second semester 2L now): http://www.amazon.com/LaserJet-1020-Printer-Q5911A-ABA/dp/B0009EM13G

I buy toner cartridges for around $25-30 a pop from random websites, and I've never had any problem with paper jams or poor printout quality.  The printer has been through around two years of law school use (by two students -- my wife is in school with me), which includes OCI stuff, mass mailing, briefs, occasional law review production work, etc.  It's a solid printer; I'd recommend it. 

one4theteam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:50:38 AM »
I stand corrected :)  Y'all make me want to get a laser printer now! 

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
So I picked up the Brother 2170w today. 

Haven't hooked it up yet, but the demo printing I was able to do at the store made it look pretty stellar.

Costco didn't have any on the shelf so I went to Best Buy.  It was priced $154.99 there, but they price matched Costco at $139.99. 

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:27:53 PM »
So I picked up the Brother 2170w today. 

Haven't hooked it up yet, but the demo printing I was able to do at the store made it look pretty stellar.

Costco didn't have any on the shelf so I went to Best Buy.  It was priced $154.99 there, but they price matched Costco at $139.99. 

Yay! The print quality is excellent (as you'll soon know) and it's got that little slot for printing on envelopes--very helpful.
CLS 2011