Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2012: It Just Feels Right  (Read 13663 times)

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2012: It Just Feels Right
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2009, 01:02:44 PM »
The bolded part didn't show up too well...I was referencing 8:45AM.  I know it's not real life early, but it's early for me :)

Oh god, yeah, I agree.  I hate early classes.  I just really like this professor and needed to take the class.  Depending on the day, he'd be a good one to see.  If I had to pick any professor for you to see, though, it'd be Brensike.  I love her to death.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »
What's the class about?  I think I'm taking a red eye in, so I might feel up for going to the class.

He uses sagas from 10th-12th Century Norse Iceland as a comparative analysis to modern politics, law, and culture.  Its absolutely fascinating and the teacher can go on and on about everything, goes on interesting tangents, and has a really dry sense of humor.  Last class, we talked about the dangerousness of giving gifts (giving too good a gift could get you killed in Iceland, and can make things awkward in contemporary times), and Viking "eggplant" impotence and its implications for marriage arrangements.

I reiterate: you should force yourself to go.  Everyone I know in that class says its the best EVER (including undergrad and law school).   I'll even tell you where I sit if you want to sit w/ someone. 
_______
.|E|R|S.

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
Are you a summer starter?

Looking for the perfect summer sublet?

Here it is:  Summer Starter Sublet

MoonSafari

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »
I posted this question earlier in the fin. aid section, but I've a feeling if there's anyone who can help me they might be found in here. So sorry in advance, I don't mean to thread highjack or anything....

Okay, so I applied to Michigan during the 07-08 cycle specifically requesting deferred admission, which was granted. So obviously that's where I'll be going.

The (multi-faceted) question is this: How does Michigan typically inform admitted students of merit based aid, and is this handled by the admissions office or the financial aid office? I know you're 'automatically considered' for merit aid, but I received no info. following my initial acceptance and am not sure whether it's because I'm not getting any or if it's because I deferred and they figured they'd deal with me closer to the time of my entrance date (which is May 09). I will be submitting all my other required financial aid information very soon and just want to make sure that any (potential) merit money is known about and included before the rest of my aid package is calculated and presented to me. And FWIW, my LSAT/GPA combo would place me just slightly ahead of the middle of the pack, so it's not a no-brainer whether I should be expecting money or not. Also, I'm very, very white.

Clearly, I'll get in touch with the school about this, I just (a) wanted to know if I could get any info on here before bugging them; and, (b) was hoping I might find out which is the appropriate office to pester about this before shooting off emails/phone calls.

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »
Speaking simply for myself, I received my merit money offer from the Admissions Office. 
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22:41 PM »
I got mine from the Admissions Office too. I think most people who were accepted early on got their merit aid by now, but I don't know if this means anything for you MoonSafari.

MoonSafari

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2009, 11:47:42 PM »
Okay, well thanks. How were you informed, and when? And I guess it's not as if they inform you in any way if you're NOT getting anything? You just assume as much by not hearing anything?

I suppose, ideally, it'd be best to hear from another person who deferred and also received merit money, but I'm sure there aren't tons who frequent this board.

But anyone else with knowledge, please share.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2009, 11:50:11 PM »
I was accepted in mid-December and got a snail-mail notification in mid-late January.

MoonSafari

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »
Gotcha.

Probably going to assume I'm not getting any - especially since I've already signed a binding agreement to attend almost a year ago; they've no incentive to bait me with cash.

An email to admissions probably couldn't hurt, though.

Thanks all.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2009, 12:48:45 PM »
Definitely check in with them. Sarah's not the kind of person (nor is Liz, nor the rest of the staff) who would be put off by a straightforward, "Hey, any chance I'm getting some $$ love?" That said, merit money will definitely come from them rather than Fin. Aid.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me.