Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2012: It Just Feels Right  (Read 13037 times)

latinforliar

• View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2012: It Just Feels Right
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »
Hey everyone,

For anyone that is interested, I have a fully-furnished 1 bedroom apartment that I am subleasing for the summer. It is only about a 7 minute walk from the law quad. You would only need to pay for electricity, and it comes with a free parking space. I am asking $550, but this is negotiable. Send me a message if you have questions or would like to see pictures.

Thanks

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »
Where do you current students reside? I have lived on my own for awhile so I have actual furniture and belongings (so no LC for me). Any suggestions for great housing (and places to stay away from)?

I was wondering about this too. I'm trying to find something that would be nice and close to the law quad and relatively inexpensive. Any suggestions current students?
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »
You're going to get VERY different answers depending on personal characteristics/preferences.
Ex: I hate apartment complexes. Hate them. I'm not fond of the 'burbs, so I prefer to be w/in city limits. I have two large dogs, so that a) limits the places I can rent and b) influences the type of setting I look for. Neighborhood and "character" and setting and price (and in-home laundry) are really important to me, so I sacrifice on things like proximity. LOTS of other people have different needs and rank these things differently. You'll hear plenty of people tell you that you must must must be w/in a 5 minute walk of the law school, but that's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, my super roundabout point is that you're better off figuring out what types of things are important to you, do a little research on Ann Arbor's neighborhoods, and then ask for advice. Otherwise anything I tell you now will be wildly subjective based on my likes/dislikes/whathaveyou.

Now that I've refused to be useful, I'll share some very helpful links. These both tell you about A2's neighborhoods and are a great starting place. I find the umich site slightly better but it's probably worth checking both.

http://www.offcampus.housing.umich.edu/lt/map.cfm
http://www.arborweb.com/cg/t1300.html

Oh, and for point of reference, I live in (and love!) neighborhood 3 on the school's map.

I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2009, 02:27:53 PM »
That's actually very helpful (I thought I was the only one who considered in suite laundry a major factor lol). Thanks very much.

Mickey Ward

• Sr. Citizen
  • A kid from Lowell rises to the bell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2009, 10:34:14 AM »
Tag.

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2009, 10:56:23 AM »
I cosign everything Jolie said.

I live in the south end of AA in a newer development about a 3-5 minute drive to campus.  If you do end up living further off-campus, don't let people tell you it's impossible to do (especially if you have a car).  I just drive to the Stadium commuter lot, hop on the bus that comes every ten minutes and it drops me off right outside of the law school. 

I had a friend that did their undergrad at Michigan and I got plenty of warnings about how touch and go it was regarding properties on (and close to) campus.  I haven't had any problems at the place I'm living at now.  That said, there are some good properties on campus, just be wary when searching.  If you don't have a lot of experience looking critically at places, bring someone (parent, significant other, etc.) to help.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

rhiwat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2009, 01:49:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have one bedroom in a 3 bedroom house for sublet (May/June-August). If you so desire, you'll be able to renew the lease in September for the 09-10 year. Living with two law students. Rent is $500/month with cheap utilities (even in winter), parking, FREE laundry. Move in date negotiable. Rent may be negotiable. PM me if interested and I'll link you to pictures, discuss further.

Thanks! : )

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
Here's a question: if one is ineligible for need-based aid, does he/she still have to fill out NeedAccess?

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2009, 09:18:01 PM »
Here's a question: if one is ineligible for need-based aid, does he/she still have to fill out NeedAccess?

I don't think so.  The financial aid office would know for sure and, from what I recall, is quite helpful.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »
God, avoiding having to do the Need Access would be a pretty substantial reason for me to go to Michigan at this point!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French