Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2012: It Just Feels Right  (Read 13258 times)

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2012: It Just Feels Right
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2009, 10:38:50 PM »
I can relate on the money front. I had the double-whammy of a relatively high EFC plus absolutely nothing to show for my salary (apparently they don't consider existing student debt?) and I had financed both my UG and graduate degrees. But a few reassuring words:

1. How long have you been taking care of yourself? I was lucky–I was old enough at matriculation that I could exclude my parents' info, so I ended up with some relatively generous need-based grants. My income was high compared to most new law students, but not compared to their parents!  :D If you've been filing your own income taxes for (I believe it was) 5 years or more, they'll count you as independent.

Maybe this is new, but it says here they don't count parents' info http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/financial/applyingaid/Pages/finaid-1l.aspx (first full paragraph after the bullet points). Or am I misunderstanding...?

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »
Thanks for your response as well. I've been supporting myself since 04 so I may only have 4 tax returns to show. Hopefully CM is right that my parents' info isn't needed. I had issues with that too in UG and don't feel like dealing with them for their returns.

I understand what you guys are saying...believe me I do, but I'm still worried. I guess I'll just get my fafsa/fin aid forms in and see what happens...

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
Mag, that's something that kind of turned me off Duke.  I've been self-supporting really since 1999, but last year my parents had me on their tax return was 2002.  I supported myself through UG and grad school and yet that didn't make a bit of difference for their purposes  :-\

I'm hoping Michigan is altogether more reasonable.  And that's another reason you should just forget Duke :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »
I can relate on the money front. I had the double-whammy of a relatively high EFC plus absolutely nothing to show for my salary (apparently they don't consider existing student debt?) and I had financed both my UG and graduate degrees. But a few reassuring words:

1. How long have you been taking care of yourself? I was lucky–I was old enough at matriculation that I could exclude my parents' info, so I ended up with some relatively generous need-based grants. My income was high compared to most new law students, but not compared to their parents!  :D If you've been filing your own income taxes for (I believe it was) 5 years or more, they'll count you as independent.

Maybe this is new, but it says here they don't count parents' info http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/financial/applyingaid/Pages/finaid-1l.aspx (first full paragraph after the bullet points). Or am I misunderstanding...?

Ah, that IS new. Or, it's at least new since fall '06.  ;D
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2009, 10:50:48 PM »
Duke forgotten...lol.

But seriously, yeah, that wouldn't work for me. And just saw that after years of not requiring parent info, UVA wants it this year. WTH?! If I get a decent package from Mich based on my own finances...it will definitely move up on my list.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »

So, another point for Michigan right?  ;D

MLaw11

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »

It's the first I've heard of it, and it's definitely new this year.  I wonder if it's because of last year's shift to a somewhat older entering class.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2009, 12:46:59 PM »
Is anyone following this thread a Michigan 2L or 3L? Or, I suppose, recent alum? If so, have a question for you.

I'm a 3L.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »
2L here.
Michigan 2010.  Brr.

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »
Where do you current students reside? I have lived on my own for awhile so I have actual furniture and belongings (so no LC for me). Any suggestions for great housing (and places to stay away from)?